Low PH, Low CYA, algea...and visiting ducks!

Ok, I've tested and my little kit only goes up to 5.0 ppm FC, and I got a reading that could be higher than 5.0 as it is somewhat darker than the 5.0 on the test. The PH was exactly 6.8.

Pool Supply World carries the TF-100 for the West Coast. I got that from moderator Jason earlier (in his sig) And..I just noticed they are 30 miles from me--so guess where I am going in the morning!!

Katharine said:
I'm concerned that this problem will be out of control by then, since it went from clear to green in just a few hours. So, I am trying to find out what to do.

Is that a clear green or a cloudy green?

I am concerned about the apparent low pH you tested. Can you confirm that with the drop based test you have? 6.2 is too low and if this is confirmed you need to raise that up with washing soda or soda ash. I've never had to do that so I am not certain of brands and sources for that, from grocery store I think.

In the meanwhile, I hope you are using a pool leaf rake to get any debris out of the pool.

Someone else bought a kit from their store within the last few weeks, so likely you will be good to go tomorrow.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

hang in there Katharine
hope you feel better soon and you will be amazed at the ease of the tf-100 test kit it is a way better value over the k-2006. you might want to go to wally world or someplace and pick up a bunch of bleach either 6% or 8.25% it don't have to be name brand just pain bleach not the scented or dripless after all you don't want to run out once you start the shock process or if you can find liquid pool shock for a good price you could use that......Mike

Katharine said:
It's a clear green right now. Kind of pretty. I'm hoping they have them--will be calling but my work takes me over there anyway. I'm so glad you told me about them--thanks!

pH of 6.2 and a clear pretty green may mean metals in the water from low pH. Please verify pH at pool store and have them test for metals also. You won't be able to do metal test at home. Report back results before you purchase anything. There are some brands of metal sequestrants that the forum prefers.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all the help last night. I got up and the pool was not green anymore but there was algea all over the walls.
I got my TF-100 from Pool Supply World. Very nice people there and they know about you guys. They are happy to help me to do my pool the
way you all are teaching me. They guy tested my water with his fancy electronic equip (metal readings, below) and then we used my new kit!
He showed me how to use it. He even likes to use it and has one right there. Here are my readings:

Total Hardness: 750 ppm
Total Chlorine: 6.39 ppm
Free Chlorine: 16 ppm
Combined Chlorine: 5.63 ppm
PH:: 6.3
Total Alkalinity:10 ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 70 ppm

From the pool store:
Copper Over 3.3 ppm
Iron 0.1 ppm
Borate 0 ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great job on getting the test kit, now you have the tools :goodjob:

Now go use it, the ones with 2 decimal place are obviously pool store results. Also TC=FC+CC so something is not right there (once again, useless pool store results)...again go do your own first test on the pool and report back :whip: :) Don't worry about measuring TC, just measure FC, CC, TA, CH, ph, and cya.

Your copper level is high, but if you don't have staining and if nobody's blond hair is turning green, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with linen. We want the TF100 results not what some potentially uncalibrated computer spits out :whip:

LOL! I suppose I could jump in and see if my red hair turns green! It is 9 PM...still sick and a new test--hmm I cannot be trusted for accuracy, so tomorrow is a short day for me, I'll be back with results from my new, awesome toy (test kit)! We were having issues with the copper pipes, but that is a long, story, best saved for me to run by you guys once this is under control. One thing at a time? Out of cash, but I'll check that price on the Taylor metal kit. The guy at the pool store ran the test twice because he thought it was weird.

By the way, he wrote (the pool guy) the results down, but they were from MY test kit. We used it together--could he have left off some decimal points? In any case I'm looking forward to using the kit tomorrow!

I'm not seeing a Taylor metal kit... :hammer:

When using the 10 ml FC (and CC) test, the results will be in increments of 0.5 ppm.

If you haven't had trouble up to now with the pool staining/green hair, I wouldn't worry about the copper kit for now....unless you used copious amounts of copper based algaecide this winter.

Thanks!! I think I'll go with what Linen said about the copper kit. Money is short at the moment. I did the tests that were on the laminated card and they were right on with the pool store. This is a special pool store--it carries the TF100 and the guy who helped me was a fan of the "BBB" way. But I re-did the tests for you guys again, and it looks like I need to adjust my PH, but that is about it --other than some help with how many bottles of chlorine to start with and I'm guessing that intimidating calculator will tell me that :-D

I noticed that there are no instructions for the more in depth tests. I'm guessing I did not look in the right place. I clicked the link that should go to it from the TF-100 page, but what I saw in the first few pages were references to regent #'s that are not in this kit.

Here are my results. Going to Wally world tomorrow. Would like to swim this weekend :party:

Total Chlorine: 7 ppm
Total Alkalinity:10 ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 70 ppm

Just report FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA.

You did not report half of them.

What in depth tests are you trying to find instructions for?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.