Low flow when water goes through empty filter, tons when it's on recirculate

fpj476

Aug 15, 2023
Southeast US
I've got a problem that has me stumped, but I'm hoping it's pretty simple for those here who are more knowledgeable than me (let's face it, that's everyone).

My water flow (at the skimmer and at the jets) is minimal when the multiport valve is set to filter. If I put it on recirculate, it's incredibly strong and fast.

I assume it has to be something to do with the filter itself, since that's the only thing that's different in those two scenarios. I have a fairly standard sand filter, so I opened it up and removed all of the filter material (this pool actually uses filterballs instead of sand). They were pretty dirty, so I decided to start it back up with the filter empty, to make sure the dirty media was the problem. It wasn't. Even with an empty filter, the flow was still terrible.

I thought maybe something was clogging the PVC pipe that led from the filter to the valve, or perhaps the valve itself. I took both of those apart, but both were clean and in good shape. Nothing blocking them at all. The gasket in the valve looks like it might need replacing within a year or two, but surely that wouldn't cause this, would it?

I'm at a loss as to what else it might be. One other thing that may be of interest - the drain on the filter itself isn't really working. I can take the cap/plug off, but very little water comes out. It has always drained well before. I sprayed into it from the outside with a hose, and could feel the cold water coming in, but it still doesn't drain. I can't feel anything from the inside that would be causing this issue. It may be completely unrelated to the flow issue, but that's the only thing out of the ordinary that I've found.

*EDIT: updated to properly use flow vs pressure*

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

Your terms are just a little off, so I’ll clarify that first to avoid confusing the issue.

Flow is the term you want to use to describe how much water is moving, while pressure would describe resistance to flow in this case.

Your sand filter likely has a gauge which registers filter pressure, which should read low when on recirculate and high on filter. Is that correct?

Thanks for the clarification of terms. You are correct, my flow is high on recirculate and low on filter. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

My pressure gauge actually stopped working a little while back, but I believe that what you've described about the pressure readings would also be correct. If anyone has a recommendation for a pressure gauge that will last more than a couple years, I'd be happy to hear those as well.

If anyone has a recommendation for a pressure gauge that will last more than a couple years, I'd be happy to hear those as well.
I see these gauges go out fast. Get two of them and keep one for spare. Without a gauge now there's no way to really see what's happening othere then good or bad flow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification of terms. You are correct, my flow is high on recirculate and low on filter. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

My pressure gauge actually stopped working a little while back, but I believe that what you've described about the pressure readings would also be correct. If anyone has a recommendation for a pressure gauge that will last more than a couple years, I'd be happy to hear those as well.
Likely something is clogged. Laterals or the riser pipe.

I had checked that the riser pipe wasn't clogged, but I had apparently misunderstood what the laterals are/what they do. They were very clogged. Cleaning them solved the issue. Thanks for your help.
Glad you solved it. That’s what TFP is here for!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.