Low Flow When in Spa Mode

donetsk96

Apr 8, 2022
Houston, TX
I could use some help troubleshooting my pool. I have a single-speed 2HP pump with 2 Jandy valves (a suction Spa-Pool and a return Spa-Pool). I recently noticed that when I would turn the pool heater on in Spa mode, it would short-cycle. At first, the water would heat up like normal, but once the water temperature reached about 75°F, it would continue climbing to the high-temperature kill (104°F) and turn off. As the heater turned off, temperature would fall back down to 75°F and the heater would light again, climbing back to 104°F within 2-3 minutes and turning off again. While troubleshooting, I did notice that the pump basket would start to get some air bubbles and occasionally would surge, so I believe the issue is low flow when I am in spa mode.

As I continued to troubleshoot, I have learned a few more things:
- Filter pressure jumps from ~15psi in Pool mode to ~35psi in Spa mode.
- Despite the pool having 4 return jets and the spa having 4 return jets, the flow rate feels much stronger in the pool.
- If I have the Return set to Spa, whether I set the Suction to Pool or Spa, I experience the same low flow issue, so I don't think there is a blockage in the Spa Suction lines.
- If I have the Return set to Pool, everything runs fine even if Suction is set to Spa (until the spa drains).

With all this, I believe I have a blockage/restriction in the Spa Return lines (please let me know if you disagree!), but I can't figure out how to clear it. So far, I have:
- Used a Drain King from the Return Jandy valve to try to push the blockage into the Spa (got some flow to the Spa, but no relief in pressure).
- Used a Drain King from the Spa Return nozzles (even tried plugging off the other Returns to try to force the water up to the Return valve).
- Ran a snake down into the Spa Return plumbing (couldn't get very deep - maybe 3 or 4' - I'm assuming I hit a 90 and couldn't get around it).
- Drained the Spa level down below the nozzles and used a shop vac to try to suck out any blockage.

Nothing is working - Spa pressure is still right at 35psi. Does anyone have any ideas to try to get things flowing again? Do I need to get someone out to try to blast it with compressed air? Do I try some sort of Draino type product? I'm at a loss - any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP.
What is your filter pressure when in SPA mode before you saw a the rise to 35psi?
Are you aware that the jet nozzle can be removed from the spa return? I forget the size but try a 9/16 or 7/8 socket. You need to put an extension on the socket to reach back about 6-8 inches. The jet should just unscrew.
IMG_6010.jpegIMG_6009.jpeg

Reactions: Mdragger88

I agree with Herman.. Pull the spa jets and then run in the spa mode for 10 minutes, or so, to blow all the junk out..

Also, depending on your plumbing, you may have a bad, or clogged, check valve on the spa return line.

Show us several pics of your equipment pad..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.