Low FC, But Stable. Still Need Help!

Mar 21, 2016
Whittier, CA
Hi All,
Let me start off by saying the pool looks, and feels, great! ;) The only problem I have is the FC. Per PoolMath, I should be around 10 or 11 ppm, but I cannot keep it above 4-5ppm. I bought a brand new slat cell, thinking that might be the problem since I don't how old the last one was, but it's still the same.

The generator runs four hours a day at 86%. I can't bring it up any higher. Something went wrong with the control panel, I guess, and I can't increase the percentage. It won't save. I was adding Clorox to the water to bring it up to the recommended level, but it would only last s few days. I didn't want to keep adding bleach because I figured a new salt cell should be doing the work and take car of the issue. I ran the generator at 100% for several hours yesterday, checked it this morning and it's still at 4.5 ppm. What gives?

I've had this problem for over a month and a few weeks ago I performed the OCLT. Brought the FC up to 11ppm and 9pm, then checked it at 6am the next morning and the FC was still at 11ppm, so I figured nothing was growing in the water. And like I said, this whole time the water has looked great and I've had a lot of bathers. We were in the pool even yesterday. It's been hot here in SoCal the last couple of weeks. Could it just be the heat? :confused:

My salt is now high too. Is it from adding all the bleach? At one point it was low so I added a bag.

This morning's test:
FC - 4.5
pH - 8
TA - 80
CSI - 0.48
Salt - 3800 (generator reading), 4000 (Leslie's test strip), 3300 (AquaChek test strip)

P.S. - I don't have enough solution left to test the CH and CYA, but I know they are both high. CH is around 800 ppm, and CYA is 90 to 100.

Your SWCG is rated for 40000 gallons. You have a pool with 26000 gallons. So you need to run the SWCG at least 12-14 hours each day at 100% to generate sufficient chlorine to combat your normal 2-4 ppm loss.

So increase your run time. Add bleach first to raise your FC to at least 10.

With a SWG, you should not need the FC that high. You minimum is 4-5ppm, so I would try to keep it at 6-7ppm. If you can't increase the % output, then increase the run time.

With a CYA of 100 you need higher FC (see FC/CYA chart in my signature) until you get the CYA into acceptable range (60-80) for SWG. Nothing wrong with helping out the SWG with bleach once in a while. This summer I'm running a similar-size SWCG at 80% for 10 or more hours per day(currently 09:30-19:30) to keep up with daily demand. However, while I was dialing in the % and time I was using bleach to keep the FC in line.

Okay, I'll try to increase the run time. With a new variable speed pump, I was hoping not to run it so long to save money. I guess I'll have to figure out the sweet spot to run longer at a speed that will generate FC.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I didn't answer back right away. I love this site!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.