Louvered pergola

Talk about timing. We are in the early planning stages of a hot tub, and are going back and forth about having it open to the sky, or under our deck. My parent-in-laws have one under their deck. After 10 years they are still on the same cover, and it looks brand new. My sister and brother in-law have one exposed to the weather. Their covers look like garbage after a year, and their tub is clearly weathered.

So a covering makes the tub last longer (clearly) but there is something to be said for being able to see the sky, and to not be sitting trapped under the deck on hot day.

I started looking at retractable roofs, and found the louver systems, I looked at the two above, but am now leaning toward Solara

Solara Adjustable Patio Covers

I am leaning that way because it is more flexible when it comes to size, and it does not have to be powered - saving money. For a roughly 8 x 8 cover over a hot tub, I can deal with a hand cranked unit.

Anybody have any experience with Solara?

-dave

I have been browsing all of these brands for the past few months. I think this would be the perfect solution for over my hot tub, as I would love to have it protected from the sun, but not lose the open sky view. I just wish they would post some kind of price point or range for standard sizes like 8x8 or 10x10...at least that way I would know if it's even in my realm of affordability. I have often thought about filling out the contact us form, but have regretted doing that with a few companies in the past!

My neighbor has the Louvretec motorized version - they now have 2 actually, as their second one is being installed right now. It is a really nice system. I decided I would spend the money on a pool to cool off instead!

We had a quote done several years ago and it was around $30,000 to do two non motorized covers over 2 patio/deck areas at our home. At the time I said I would rather spend 30K on a pool (little did I know the pool would would cost over 2 times that!)

I have been browsing all of these brands for the past few months. I think this would be the perfect solution for over my hot tub, as I would love to have it protected from the sun, but not lose the open sky view. I just wish they would post some kind of price point or range for standard sizes like 8x8 or 10x10...at least that way I would know if it's even in my realm of affordability. I have often thought about filling out the contact us form, but have regretted doing that with a few companies in the past!

I spoke with the solara rep. They have two models a rolled aluminum (thinner and cheaper) vs an extruded version (thicker and stronger). Both were rated to winds of 130mph. The rep said he recommends the extruded in places with a lot of snow otherwise the rolled is fine. Without the motor the cheaper version was $20ish a square foot + shipping.

I'm waiting to talk to/hear from a couple other manufacturers.

For wind resistance there is a real world case example being played right now unfortunately. Equinox installed one on DJ's seafood in destin which is being hit by Micheal. There is/was a webcam focused right on the restaurant

K

I spoke with the solara rep. They have two models a rolled aluminum (thinner and cheaper) vs an extruded version (thicker and stronger). Both were rated to winds of 130mph. The rep said he recommends the extruded in places with a lot of snow otherwise the rolled is fine. Without the motor the cheaper version was $20ish a square foot + shipping.

I'm waiting to talk to/hear from a couple other manufacturers.

For wind resistance there is a real world case example being played right now unfortunately. Equinox installed one on DJ's seafood in destin which is being hit by Micheal. There is/was a webcam focused right on the restaurant

K

I did some digging on Solara and found prices of $18 - $25 per S.F for the no-frills lighter one and $22 - $30 per S.F. for the heavier gauge one.

They will also sell them as a DIY kit. The prices I saw were an installed price.

When you add motors, posts, and other doo-dads the price goes up.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.