Loud Pump

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
Last summer, our pump needed a new motor. It's a 2 HP pump. When the tech came to install the new motor, he removed the impeller and showed me that the inside of the shaft was threadbare, and told me that it was also undersized. He replaced it with a larger impeller as part of the new motor installation. When he was finished, I immediately noticed that the pump was louder than it had been before. I mentioned this to the tech, and he said that was due to the larger impeller. It has since gotten louder. It doesn't sound like bad bearings (have heard that before), but still a loud humming.

What I'm wondering is if there would be anything wrong with going back to a smaller impeller.

Do you notice a difference in the pressure in the spa, that is where you'll likely want the extra gpm.

You'll save a bit on electricity with the smaller impeller since you'll be moving less water, but if you like the spa as it was with the smaller impeller, I don't see an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.