Loud Hayward EcoStar Pump Model SP3400VSP - Bearings Replaceable?

Oct 26, 2015
Queen Creek, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm looking to see if there's any info out there about replacing the bearings in the motor for this pump when I do a planned seal/impeller replacement. I swear I've seen that the impeller was a noise generator in these pumps before. Can't find it now.

This pump is ridiculously loud.

All I know is the motor uses one of each bearing, a 6203 and a 6204. I assume double-contact sealed, stainless steel deep grove ball bearings are what's needed.

I just haven't seen if anyone has been successful at replacing these, and if there are any other seals, etc required for the motor itself.

Hoping to not have to drop $350-400 on a motor, when this one is only about 4 years old.

Thanks!

That is a permanent magnet motor and it looks like its totally enclosed which might make bearing replacement difficult. Is there a motor rebuild shop around that you can bring it to?

There are a few online retailers that sell the complete motor for 350.

Be extra careful of the electronic drive parts and seals when you pull the motor apart. All the weather seals need to be in good shape to protect the electronic drive components.

I'm looking to see if there's any info out there about replacing the bearings in the motor for this pump when I do a planned seal/impeller replacement. I swear I've seen that the impeller was a noise generator in these pumps before. Can't find it now.

This pump is ridiculously loud.

All I know is the motor uses one of each bearing, a 6203 and a 6204. I assume double-contact sealed, stainless steel deep grove ball bearings are what's needed.

I just haven't seen if anyone has been successful at replacing these, and if there are any other seals, etc required for the motor itself.

Hoping to not have to drop $350-400 on a motor, when this one is only about 4 years old.

Thanks!
SP3400VSP Bearing replacement. Today, I installed a Hayward tune up kit and Bearings 6203-2RSC3 and 6204-2RS I ordered from Amazon. It took me 3.5 hrs. I used a ratchet set, screw driver, rubber mallot, sandpaper to clean rod to help remove bearings, pocket knife to remove 3 or 4 V-shaped locking washers and a brass rod with a hammer to remove old bearings (would have gone much faster with a $30 bearing puller) total cost $40.00 and it has never run quieter. I used the schematic drawing and a YouTube video on “how to replace the motor”. Good Luck! I'd rate it a 5/10 in difficulty and I'm not very mechanically inclined. The fact that it wasn't that difficult and they Hayward won't even sell the parts or provide a video and instead recommend replacing the $600 motor REALLY pisses me off!

Reactions: Yeller989
I have a Tristar SP3202VSP
My bearings went bad and as much as I don’t use pool stores I took mine to Leslie’s to repair.

Labor was free and the part was only a couple bucks more then it would have cost me to buy myself.

I don’t know if they still offer this service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.