Lost CYA over winter, Ammonia took it's place CYA or SLAM first?

I think you get it cheaper than I do. 12.5% runs me $18 for a 4 gal crate when I return the empty crate and bottles so $45 for 10 gal just a bit less than the water cost. But I think the drain definitely would have made sense for the guy you replied too that took 35gal of 12.5% to clear the pool. That would run me $171 in chlorine. And i you know how much it will take until you have spent a week pouring it in..

I think you get it cheaper than I do. 12.5% runs me $18 for a 4 gal crate when I return the empty crate and bottles so $45 for 10 gal just a bit less than the water cost. But I think the drain definitely would have made sense for the guy you replied too that took 35gal of 12.5% to clear the pool. That would run me $171 in chlorine. And i you know how much it will take until you have spent a week pouring it in..

Definitely. A case here runs $12.72, including tax. In reading the 2018 Bleach thread, it's curious how infrequent prices for 12.5% are posted in other parts of the country. More curious though is the notion that water might be that much less expensive in Arizona than Connecticut. I would honestly not have thought that, given the climate. I am no longer on public water, but according to the Connecticut Water Company website, an average customer uses 15,000 gal./quarter at $150. That means (quick and dirty) it would cost $300+ to fill your pool.

In terms of my own ammonia issue. I had all or parts of 7 cases of 12.5% in my garage at on May 10 (Opened the pool May 8). I used the last of it earlier this week.

Most of the country run anywhere from about $5-$10 per 1000 gallons of water.
Personally, I am on a semi-private 100 home well. I pay about $0.80 per 1000 gallons ... costs <$20 to fill my pool.

I pay $3.99 + tax for a gallon of 12.5% ... 12th one free ... so $3.66 / gallon after 12

When i refilled my pool with tap water in January our water bill spiked about $60. We have good water infrastructure in Arizona where large mountain ranges feed a network of reservoirs. Notwithstanding thieving Californian's :cool:, it is actually getting better, at least in some areas. We are in the midst of a period of massive growth in suburban sprawl in the Phoenix area and as the farmland is replaced by housing, net water consumption is going down. Anecdotally I hear about people with flooded basements on my side of town because the water table has recovered despite lingering on and off draught conditions for several decades.

There is more to it though. I live on about 1.5 acres with water "rights" which means I have access to flood irriagation from canals and pumps via the local water and power collective (SRP). I buy that by acre foot and it costs me about $200 a year for 5 acre feet of water (1.6 Million gallons). That is more than enough to keep my 8 fruit trees, line of grape vines and half an acre of grass verdant even in the scorching summers...for $200 bucks. God bless hydro engineering.

It also has to do with politics I am sure. We in the flyover don't like taxes and that has a knock down effect on the price of everything.

I am hoping I can find an alternative to getting my liquid chlorine from retail at at the pool store. I know its dirt cheap in cost at the production facility. Even if I buy it two months at a time and some of it degrades a little, it would probably be worth it.

Here's an update:

FC- 2.0
CC- 0
TA- 120
pH- 6.8
CYA-0

It was about 18 hours since I last added chlorine with the pump running non-stop. I will test the Ammonia in a hour or so after I finish another 2 rounds. I have noticed a slight drop in my alkalinity and a large drop in my pH. I tested it twice to make sure. Any ideas?

Here's an update:

FC- 2.0
CC- 0
TA- 120
pH- 6.8
CYA-0

It was about 18 hours since I last added chlorine with the pump running non-stop. I will test the Ammonia in a hour or so after I finish another 2 rounds. I have noticed a slight drop in my alkalinity and a large drop in my pH. I tested it twice to make sure. Any ideas?

Yeah when I was done with the ammonia my pH test was right with yours very acidic the color was total yellow. I ended up adding 4 boxes of borax. I waited a few days aerating as much as possible with no help at all.

Amazon.com: 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster 65oz (Pack of 4): Health Personal Care

At that high of TA, aeration should work pretty well.

If you use borax, go in small amounts and retest. Easy to over shoot.

The 4 boxes barely got the ph on the chart. It slowly drifted up over the next few weeks. I'd say dump it all in.

Okay, so about 2 hours after my last round, I saw almost no drop in FC and I tested the Ammonia and it's coming up zero. My CC was at 0.5, but I think that was just the last of the ammonia dying?

As suggested, I will wait another day and make sure that ammonia level is correct before I start adding CYA.

So for reference my issue was this:

CYA -0
FC- 0
Ammonia was roughly 4 ppm

It appears to have taken appx. 15 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine to kill all the ammonia in a 33,000 gallon pool.
My FC is now at 8.5.
My pH dropped from 7.5 to 6.8 with this massive chlorine addition.

I'll check the numbers again tomorrow and confirm this did it.

Thanks again for the assistance everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so about 2 hours after my last round, I saw almost no drop in FC and I tested the Ammonia and it's coming up zero. My CC was at 0.5, but I think that was just the last of the ammonia dying?

As suggested, I will wait another day and make sure that ammonia level is correct before I start adding CYA.

So for reference my issue was this:

CYA -0
FC- 0
Ammonia was roughly 4 ppm

It appears to have taken appx. 15 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine to kill all the ammonia in a 33,000 gallon pool.
My FC is now at 8.5.
My pH dropped from 7.5 to 6.8 with this massive chlorine addition.

I'll check the numbers again tomorrow and confirm this did it.

Thanks again for the assistance everyone.

That sounds about right. Nicely done.

Okay here is where I stand now.

FC- 1.0
CC- 0.0
TA- 130
pH- 6.8
CYA- 0

Ammonia is still at 0 PPM, so I think it's been eliminated. My FC dropped quite a bit overnight (about 18 hours), but with 0 CYA, I think that is normal.

This afternoon:
I added enough chlorine to get me up to 5.0 FC, and it held steady about 2 hours later.
I added 1 box of Borax, and after 2 hours the pH didn't move so I just added another.
I added 5 lbs total of CYA in nylons put in both of my skimmers, I'll probably need another 5 lbs, but I add this very cautiously.

Lets see how we look tomorrow!

How does the water look?

With TA at 130, all you should need to do is aerate the water's surface. Point a return jet upwards and pH should rise.

Check out poolmath to get your CYA right. Depending on your target, you might be overshooting with 10 lbs of stabilizer.

How does the water look?

With TA at 130, all you should need to do is aerate the water's surface. Point a return jet upwards and pH should rise.

Check out poolmath to get your CYA right. Depending on your target, you might be overshooting with 10 lbs of stabilizer.

Water has been clear all week.

Poolmath said a little over 10lbs, (my target is 40). So, I'll go slow adding that.

I'll take your suggestion on the ph and slow down on the Borax. I'll give it the weekend and see how much it rises, thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.