Loss of suction from skimmer for vacuum

Emarshbuck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
Hilton Head, SC
I have lost suction from my pool skimmer when I vacuum my pool. I suspect a leak in the return pipe from the skimmer. I have two openings in the bottom of the skimmer. This is the first time in 12 years I have been unable to get enough suction to vacuum. If you have any ideas as to how to isolate the leak please let me know. I might call the local leak detector company, Leak Seekers of Savannah, GA.

thanks,

ed marshall.

Before you assume a leak, did you rule out a partial blockage? It doesn't take much to interrupt water flow. A small acorn or similar object is all it takes. You might try sticking a garden hose into your pump pot, into the inlet hole so that you are pushing water back towards the pool skimmer. Wrap a rag around the hose/opening to try and create a basic seal, then turn on the garden hose and try to push water back to the skimmer. See if anything releases? If you have a 3-way valve before the pump, you may want to remove the lid to check in there as well.

Before you assume a leak, did you rule out a partial blockage? It doesn't take much to interrupt water flow. A small acorn or similar object is all it takes. You might try sticking a garden hose into your pump pot, into the inlet hole so that you are pushing water back towards the pool skimmer. Wrap a rag around the hose/opening to try and create a basic seal, then turn on the garden hose and try to push water back to the skimmer. See if anything releases? If you have a 3-way valve before the pump, you may want to remove the lid to check in there as well.
Pat,

Thank you! I will try that first thing tomorrow! I do have the three way jandy valve.

We back up to a pecan grove and squirrels are always cleaning the pecans in our pool! They also drink out of it....

ed

Reactions: Texas Splash
Texas, It was a loose fitting from the pool vacuum hose to the vacuum head. Took me a while to deduce this, but now all is well. thanks for you advice!

I have a question about the FC test. I get pool water for the test, drop in the small spoonful of R-0870, wait about a minute, then add R-0871 drop by drop to check the FC level. I put that reading into the TFP pool math calculator, and add 10% chlorine as recommended. Oh, before this, I make sure the CYA is between 40-50.

Once that's done, I just set the chlorine test aside, and go on with my daily routine....then, an hour or so later, the FC test gets much darker, sometimes testing as high as 12! Is this normal? should I wait longer than a minute to check FC level?

I've been taking care of this pool since we purchased the house in 2011. I just finished slamming it to 40ppm to clear up an algae problem. I'm now back down to normal chlorine levels. If I should copy repost this in another forum, please let me know....

cheers,

ed marshall
Hilton head

Ed, when you do the FC testing, there is no need to wait. Once you have the 10 ML water sample, add the generous scoop of powder and start stirring/mixing right away. Once you have your FC result, you can then discard the test sample immediately unless you wish to do the CC test immediately after. In that case, go right into the CC test. Otherwise, just discard the solution. If you let it sit, the sample will always try to change to a darker color but is not relevant.

Also do your best to confirm the CYA as either 40, 50, 60, etc. You can round up if needed. You want to have one good CYA number to use when you go to the FC/CYA Levels.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: proavia
When doing the FAS-DPD chlorine test
  • Add 10ml of pool water to the vial
  • Add one rounded scoop of R-0870 powder
  • Swirl to mix or use magnetic stirrer
  • Holding the reagent bottle perfectly vertical and allowing the drops to fully form on the tip
    • Add R-0871, one drop per second
    • Swirl between drops or use magnetic stirrer
    • Once the sample turns clear, the FC test is complete
    • Remember how many drops it took to go clear
  • Immediately add 5 drops of R-0003 to start the CC test
  • If the sample turns pink
    • Add R-0871, one drop at a time
    • Swirl between drops or use magnetic stirrer
    • Once the sample turns clear, the CC test is complete
    • Remember how many drops it took to go clear
  • Since you used the 10ml sample size, divide the FC and CC drop numbers by 2 to get the FC and CC results into PoolMath
Do NOT wait one minute after adding the R-0870 powder. Add the R-0870, mix and get on with the test.
The test is complete once the sample goes clear - the first time. This is true for both the FC and CC test.
If left to sit, the sample will turn pink again. This is normal. You already completed the tests and should use the first results for accuracy.

With a CYA of 50, your SLAM Process FC level is 20. Dosing FC to 40ppm with CYA of 50 can cause damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.