Overland Park, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I have been struggling this year with algae, about every other week it seems. At the beginning of June I took a sample in and CYA was like 3. I added some stabilizer and a week later it was 10. I added more and on June 21st it was 41. On June 28th it was back to 11, and I just had them test today and it was back to a 3.

I have only had to add water maybe 3 times to get it back to the middle of the skimmer basket, but each time it is like maybe a half an inch of water. We have not had a lot of rain and are down several inches so far this year.

The store today suggested that I could have a leak. I would think if I did have a leak I would lost more water faster. Further, even if it is a leak, how does that affect CYA? I would figure if losing water, I would proportionately lose CYA. I think it is just evaporation, and would assume that the CYA stays in the pool.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

It probably wont be. A computer is only as good as the person entering the data.

Trust your test kit.

Reactions: Mdragger88
It is an automated test. Pretty hard for them to screw up putting sample water into the little disk to get a reading. But I will test it as well.

Pool store test results are notorious for being wrong.

The equipment is not calibrated, and they are there for a reason, to sell, sell, sell.

Use your TF-100

Pool store test results are inaccurate - no matter if computerized or not.
No matter how idiot proof something may seem, some idiot will figure a way to mess it up.
These supposed accurate to a single digit pool store test results are only meant to instill confidence into their flawed testing and to sell you magic potions you don't need.

It is an automated test. Pretty hard for them to screw up putting sample water into the little disk to get a reading. But I will test it as well.
It’s actually quite easy for them to screw it’s up, happens frequently. Check around on the site for reviews of how often it’s true.0

You have a TF-100 in your possession...use it and ONLY it. Don't rely on pool store testing as it will get you no where fast. If you've been on this site long enough I'm sure you've seen this stated multiple times. You and that TF-100 are light years ahead of any pool store testing. Trust it and yourself. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use your test results.
Post them & we can help you .
If you have algae you need to follow the
SLAM Process to completion to eradicate it & prove it’s gone.
Maintain adequate fc at all times thereafter & you should struggle with algae no more.

I tested with the TF-100 and it was not registering anything. I added 10 pounds of stabilizer and it was up to maybe 40 or so. I think I need to add more stabilizer.

But my question is, how is it possible for CYA to leave through evaporation?

I tested with the TF-100 and it was not registering anything. I added 10 pounds of stabilizer and it was up to maybe 40 or so. I think I need to add more stabilizer.

But my question is, how is it possible for CYA to leave through evaporation?
It’s not possible with evaporation, but it does degrade with heat and time.

Before adding any more cya do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure you don’t have an algae problem & need to do the
SLAM Process this is much easier to accomplish at 30-40ppm cya.
If you have visible algae just go straight to the SLAM Process. You can add more cya when that is complete & you have confirmation that you are algae free.

How are you adding stabilizer? It could take up to 48 hours to show up on the test.

there is a bacteria that consumes cya and produces ammonia.

post a full set of test results So people can help you.

If you suspect a leak, you can do the "bucket test" to confirm. Check out this article:

I added 10 pounds of stabilizer and it was up to maybe 40 or so. I think I need to add more stabilizer.
10 lbs. will increase CYA by around 35 ppm in a 35K gallon pool. For SWG pools, TFP recommends CYA levels between 60 and 90 ppm. The higher level will help your SWG work more efficiently which should increase the life of the cell. If you do suspect algae, hold off on adding more CYA until the pool is algae-free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.