May 29, 2023
Sandusky, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Everyone,

I'm new to the trouble free pool forums, but hoping to find some help in getting my pool cleared up.

My pool is blue, but cloudy. It has been this way for a few weeks now.. when I opened it, it was grass green and a mess! So the blue is better, but not all the way there.

This past Saturday night I put floc in the pool, waited 48 hours with no circulation, and it helped slightly. I can now see the bottom step of the ladder, but not clearly. I can just start to see the sweeper head in the bottom. I checked my water levels and everything seemed awfully low. So after sweeping, I turned the filter back on to get some chlorine back in the water.

I took samples of the water this afternoon.
Free Chlorine - 14.5
Combined Chlorine - 1.5
Ph - 7.2
CYA - 30
Alk. - 120
Calcium Hardness - 200

18x33 Oval, above ground, sandfilter.

What do I do now? Clarifier?

Thank you in advanced!

Thanks for the reply! I have had the pool for a couple years now and bought the Taylor K-2005 test kit when we filled the pool up (I believe - I'm not home to look at the current moment.. but looking it up, seems like the right one)

Ok. I read the SLAM process. Seems do-able.. but no algicides along the way? I don't know very much about pool care, but isn't the cloudiness from algae? And being that the floc didn't work, I'm guessing I have live algae along with dead?

Algaecide is for algae prevention, not for correcting a bloom. It's also unnecessary in a properly chlorinated pool, I haven't used any since finding TFP and have never dealt with algae problems on the level I did before TFP when I regularly used algaecide and followed pool store advice.

I'm in agreement, a good old SLAM will have you on your way. Don't lose hope, we've got you.

Continue to test your FC level regularly and keep it above 12. Run your pump 24/7 so that you can filter out all of the dead algae you've killed. Carry on with the SLAM process and keep us updated here on how it's going.

If you haven't replaced the reagents in the test kit since new, its time to consider that. Taylor recommended to replace all of them once a year. tftestkits.net has several refill kits and they are Taylor reagents.

Did you do a vac to waste on that floc? Hopefully you didn't put it through filter.

If your filter is ok, let's forget the floc, clarifier and algaecides as they won't help you. You need to kill the algae and you need large amounts of liquid chlorine for that and a good test kit with new reagents. Before you SLAM, you'll need to see where you CYA and pH are at. If your CYA is too high, you'll have to lower that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dang... I am so happy I turned to you all here at TFP. Seriously. Its so nice to be able to ask questions and talk about various issues / solutions.

- I'll get on the site provided above and get the new reagents.
- Pump is on 24/7 until its clear.
- Liquid chlorine -- Do I need to get something labeled as liquid chlorine? Or do I get a half pallet of bleach?
- When I get a minute, I'll also update my signature as well.

THANK YOU ALL! So relieving being able to post here, and get a bunch of replies quickly as well!

Reactions: dleonard1122
I forgot to add - when I did the floc - I did vac to waste. Filter seems to be good. The pressure gauge is around 12 - 15 psi. The output back to the pool is very turbulent as it always has been since new. I do have new sand sitting at the house that I could put into the filter, but not quite sure if I should even bother. The sand filter I have is only 1 year old.

Bleach is fine as long as it’s pure bleach with no additives. Keep in mind it’s usually less concentrated than 10 or 12% liquid chlorine. Right now I buy my gallons from Walmart as Lowe’s and Home Depot are way too expensive for the same product.

And welcome! Follow SLAM and you’ll be on your way to a TFP in no time. Please look at the other threads on what a TFP clear pool looks like for inspiration. You’ll be there in no time and with the least amount out of pocket!

Good call on going to Menards for chemicals... I just went over on lunch.

I tried getting a bunch of chemicals to have on hand... because I currently don't really have any.
-16 gal. liquid chlorine
-10 lbs. alk. up
-10 lbs. alk. down
- 2 bottles (guessing 5 lbs?) of chlorine stabilizer

Which brings me to the next question... my CYA was only 30. Do I need to add chlorine stabilizer while SLAM'ing the pool? Or just worry about the liquid chlorine only until its clear? Then do CYA, PH, ALK...

EDIT: As I mentioned above the listed chemicals I just purchased (plus one box of granular shock) is all I have at home in my arsenal of chemicals... is there anything else I should have on hand?

What is 'alk down'?? If dry acid, take it back. Use muriatic acid.
You can take the 'alk up' back too. It is baking soda. With your TA of 120, you will never need it.

If your CYA is 30, and pH is 7.2, start the SLAM Process

ALKAPLUS:
ALKAMINUS:
STABILIZER:

I can return it... I think I have some Muriatic Acid at home from other projects..

You'll want to leave the CYA at 30 until after your SLAM. Much easier (and cheaper) to maintain SLAM level at a CYA of 30 than it would be higher.

Definitely. The Alk Plus stuff too. That is Soda Ash. Too big a hammer. Raise pH a bunch and TA way too much.

The Stabilizer is fine. Likely quite expensive if over $10 per bottle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.