Loosing prime overnight…bad three way valve?

mrm1682

Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2021
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
So yesterday morning I went out before the pump turned on and noticed the pump was empty. I turned it on and it filled and would prime within about 15-20 seconds and would stay primed. Today I went out to try to isolate the issue and I couldn’t find an obvious leak using the soap test. However, when I isolate suction to the skimmers it looses prime, sucks in a ton of air then primes again. It keeps doing this over and over. I then isolated it to each skimmer and they both do the same thing but keeps primed when both are open. I’m wondering if it makes sense for a bad seal in the three way valve to do this. For better or worse, the pool was built last year so whatever the issue is the builder warranties any plumbing issues.

Edit - stupid me. It was loosing prime when running because I isolated to a single skimmer and the water level would get low. Still need to isolate the air leak so I think I’ll just have to turn off the valves each night to see where I can isolate it from.

CEF64B46-5D31-4094-9C44-F4FCE8FFFCEA.jpeg

Last edited:
The water level at the skimmers need to be midway up the opening if not it'll keep emptying and suck in air, also make sure the wier doors are functioning properly and not holding the water back from flowing smoothly.

15-20 seconds to prime is a tiny leak and. functionally. nothing to worry about.

The install looks good. I would double check the lid and make sure it is smooth with no debris caught between the gasket and the pump frame.

You are not hurting yourself if you don't find that small leak but, I know, it can be maddening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.