Mesa/AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Perhaps I'm wasting my time and should just have my pool resurfaced, but I'm not there yet.

We had to drain the pool to fix a crack in a bench area. That has been done and patched. Not a perfect match but I can live with it for now. Wife says we'll die in this house so I'm fine with it. :)

However, the our pool venture started because we thought we were losing water a little more rapidly and suspected a leak somewhere. Initially thought it may be the plumbing. Did not suspect the bench crack, as that seemed to be isloated and did not extend to the floor or walls. However as I looked around, the pebbletec is showing some hairline cracks in other places. The question for this thread is the tile line area. The caulk line is starting to fail at top of pool. A few grout line also appear weak and compromised. I tapped around on some tile and there are quite a few with a hollow sound. I also noticed near those hollow tile are hairline cracks in pebble underneath. One in particular pictured below, where the tile was letting and I pulled it off, there are cracks in the substructure. That concerns me a bit and I now wonder if it's prudent to tear out the entire tile line, fix the base and reinstall new tile? Or, is just patching in near hollow area sufficient. Most of the pool tiles sound firmly affixed. Perhaps 12-15 suspect...in my not so expert opinion.

More photos if you wish. I know some folks, like myself won't click an unknown authors link. I did a re-edit to add photo above. dropbox photos of pool tile

Hard to see hairlines in pebble from photos without zooming in larger file size image, but there are small tracks trailing down. One does seem more severe that the others and we may need to grind that out and patch as well. I'm beginning to wonder if the entire problem is a result of the failing tile line. When we started chasing the leak, the rate of dissipation slowed as water level dropped, that's why I thought it may be in the return line plumbing. Now I question the integrity of the tile/wall and perhaps some seepage.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jeff

Last edited:
Sorry...replying to my own post but wanted to add something. I started digging out some of the top grout/elastic top line of the tile. Posted some more pics. Kind of curious why they used the cement grout to top and then covered with what I assume is a silicon grout. I would have thought it may have been silicon all the way thru, not just a top coat of sorts. Is that the way it's done?

Jeff

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.