Loose pool cover for inground pool

sagosto

May 28, 2019
Mahwah, NJ
Solid cover is probably 15 years old but in good shape minus a few small patches. This year the cover is really limp and appears to be laying against the water (lowered below skimmer). Pool company said it’s “stretched”. Is that a thing ? Or just not installed properlyIMG_1990.jpegIMG_1989.jpegIMG_1988.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pool cover bring supported by the water is what cover manufacturers recommend.

That look is normal by the end of the winter with the cover supporting snow and ice and water.

I would not worry about it.

No, that’s not normally how they should sit after the snow melts off it, the springs should be pulling it taut. Your photos seem to show that they installed the anchors too close and that’s limiting just how tight it can be. A small dip is ok but not that big, it looks very very loose to my eyes. Those covers are made with doubled up polyester straps that don’t stretch. A simple fix would be achieved by installing new anchors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Depending on where your patches are and how well they're holding up, you may have pumped pool water through the cover, making the sag worse. I doubt it started that low.

No, that’s not normally how they should sit after the snow melts off it, the springs should be pulling it taut. Your photos seem to show that they installed the anchors too close and that’s limiting just how tight it can be. A small dip is ok but not that big, it looks very very loose to my eyes. Those covers are made with doubled up polyester straps that don’t stretch. A simple fix would be achieved by installing new anchors.
Drilling new holes in patio? I didn’t get a straight answer about why not pulling it tight other than it’s as tight as it goes

I didn’t get a straight answer about why not pulling it tight other than it’s as tight as it goes
From the pics it looks like there is no strap left to tighten with the springs touching the cover.

Screenshot_20240303_085205_Chrome.jpg

So the only fix is to put the holes further out which will allow future adjustments as well.