Shellirave

May 6, 2020
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool came with a mesh safety cover and one of those mesh mate floating and covers as well. Our pool guy said the mesh mate was a pain I'm sure because it was just an extra step but when we did use it I felt the pool did open clearer. We typically close end of September and open end of April, which I know is part of the problem as we are here in New York and tend to have Indian Summers in the fall and spring has been getting hotter earlier. Two years ago we upgraded to What we were told was the better of the loop lock covers (extreme) as it was supposed to block more sunlight. I believe that was BS, as we stopped using the mesh mate because we thought the cover would be better now and the last two years we have opened to a swamp. Now I'm trying to find a new mesh meat cover and can't seem to find one I'm wondering if I should not even bother and just deal with slamming the pool and taking a week to clear it. Anybody else here have a loop lock extreme and feel that they upgraded and it was a waste of money?

I think you need to base your closing time on water temp and not an arbitrary date. I close now in November because my water is still above 60 (Maryland) at that point. If you close when the water is too warm you most likely will open to a swamp. Opening as well. Keep an eye on water temp in the Spring and open as soon as the water temps are consistently above 60. Opening early and closing late is cheaper than buying a $3k cover. I also add a quart of polyquat at closing. Not sure I really need it but got into that habit. Honestly I don't think the type of cover makes much, if any, of a difference.

I think you need to base your closing time on water temp and not an arbitrary date. I close now in November because my water is still above 60 (Maryland) at that point. If you close when the water is too warm you most likely will open to a swamp. Opening as well. Keep an eye on water temp in the Spring and open as soon as the water temps are consistently above 60. Opening early and closing late is cheaper than buying a $3k cover. I also add a quart of polyquat at closing. Not sure I really need it but got into that habit. Honestly I don't think the type of cover makes much, if any, of a difference.
Thanks for the advice. My question to you is how do you keep your pool clean from now through November like with leaves and such do you keep your pump running and clean it as usual for the summer during that time? I just can't fathom having to go out and still clean and chemicalize the pool for the next month and a half when no one will be using it.

do you keep your pump running and clean it as usual for the summer during that time?
Yes. It's not all that bad, and look at my profile picture...LOTS of trees/leaves. Mid-October is fine...15-31st usually works for me...and we are ~~+/- same latitude...

Rather do that than open to a swamp...any day.

What day do you close on LI, @Newdude ?

What day do you close on LI, @Newdude ?
Last year was November 19th. :ROFLMAO:

It was longer than I would have because I was waiting '2 weeks' for the safety cover I ordered in September :roll:

Mid October is probably good, it all depends on the weather. This year is supposed to be cold, maybe it will be sooner.

When leaves were an issue the first 8 years, I did a 'soft close' and ran the pool normal under the cover until it was cold enough. With the sun off the water and it being cooler in general (albeit not cool enough), you'll hardly need any chlorine. Pop a corner once a week in front of a return to add it and brush the area.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thanks for the advice. My question to you is how do you keep your pool clean from now through November like with leaves and such do you keep your pump running and clean it as usual for the summer during that time? I just can't fathom having to go out and still clean and chemicalize the pool for the next month and a half when no one will be using it.

I have a SWG which remains on until I close. I'll bump the percent a bit to slowly raise chlorine until closing and account for leaves. But I'll basically ignore the pool between now and closing. I might do a chlorine only test every couple weeks. There are no chemicals to add. Oh and I'll check and empty the skimmers every couple days if I remember.

Reactions: PoolStored
Are you saying that you do not use a cover at all? We closed late last year and opened early to a clear pool but wrestled with a tarp and water bags all winter and do not want to do that again. We are also considering a safety cover but I do not want to waste $3,000 if there are ways to close without a cover.

We are also considering a safety cover but I do not want to waste $3,000 if there are ways to close without a cover.
Pre TFP, I had no idea that a cover was entirely optional. A safety cover is solely for safety if you have pets or little kids who might wander on the ice and fall in.

If you have heavy debris that will fall late into winter, then it's best to cover to keep the crud out. If you don't want the tarp headaches then you are welcome to upgrade to a safety cover, possibly also for aesthetics.

But if you clean up your yard in the late fall so stuff isn't blowing around all winter, and you have no safety concerns, then there's no *need* for a cover.

Reactions: PoolGate
Are you saying that you do not use a cover at all? We closed late last year and opened early to a clear pool but wrestled with a tarp and water bags all winter and do not want to do that again. We are also considering a safety cover but I do not want to waste $3,000 if there are ways to close without a cover.

No, I have a looploc style cover that goes on at closing. It has deck anchors. Occasionally I put water bags too since leaves tend to blow under the cover.

I'm on Long Island too. I generally close end of September early October, before the leaves really start falling. I open 2 or 3 weeks before Memorial day. The dates are when the weather looks like I can get it done and when I have time. I have used the tarp and water bags, I'm installing a safety cover right now Yardguard, that's 99% light blocking. I can see how a mesh mate is an annoyance to install. I can see it minimizing the algae growth, but I would guess most of the stuff that gets though the cover either settles on the mesh mate and ends up in the pool as the mesh mate is removed when the pool is opened. I'll have to see how my pool is in the spring, with the trap it usually opened pretty clean, but still needs a vacuuming. I am hoping the opening isn't more work than dealing with water bags and cleaning debris off the cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.