Looking to start an OB in Houston Help Appreciated

Jan 8, 2017
Houston, tx
About to jump into a OB in Houston. I purchased the software and designed my pool , but am unsure about where to exactly place some items or even how many I might need. The total length of pool is 49ft and the bigger diameter is 26ft with the other at 23ft. it is going to be a sport pool starting at 3.5ft going to 5.5ft then to 4ft. I am not exactly sure how many (or where) my return inlets go or how many skimmers are needed (guessing 2). Also how many pumps are need besides the variable speed for the pool (do I need a separate one for the spa and 3 sheer descents?). I have been following other builds but any guidance would be appreciated before I send it to the engineer.

Adams 3.jpg
Adams.jpgAdams2.jpg

Gorgeous pool plan. Well done! My only suggestion is to re-think that 3.5' depth. That's really quite shallow which you can see if you measure up your leg with a yardstick.
You're in hot, humid Houston. Shallow pools tend to get swampy warm feeling, whereas deeper water is more refreshing.
Just my two cents :)

Maddie :flower:

Wow that will be a sweet pool, as large as a small tract home! Here is my first look at it, by the way my pool is 3.5, 5, 4 depths and we love it. You will need a minimum of 2 pumps, a regular intelliflo and a booster pump for the spa, along with an air blower for the spa, you could add a 3rd booster pump for just the water features if you wanted to, you will need several 3 way Jandy valves to route the descents, baja ledge fountains, a side wall vaccume (the port in which you plug your cleaner in), the returns, and a smaller 3/4" return line run for the return aerator sprayer which helps when you need to raise PH or simply like to cool off etc. Go over your layout with the plumber, go with a plumber familiar with pools only and not an underground house guy.
Your light placement all depends on what lights your using. Anyways, double check with others on placements and where your equipment is going may change as you want the shortest route to the skimmers, be sure to loop the returns!

Houston.jpg
Layout.jpg

Looped.jpg

Last edited:
I have been debating the shallow end but with 4 kids (I know they aren't young forever) and the fact that I'm only 5'9, i get why my wife is pushing for the 3.5ft. I want a bigger pool but hopefully I didn't go too big (or at least for the wallet). iS it going to add a huge expense for a 49ft pool vs 40? if I put the equipment on the side of the house by the pool (15ft away) is it going to be too loud. I could run it to the other side of the house but it would probably be a 200ft run. Thoughts? Thank you again for all the advice, I'll take as much as I can get

You will enjoy the 3.5 end, and so will the wife and kids, its nice to have an area to walk around and still be able to have your elbows up on the deck to enjoy a drink, hand off toys, items etc.
49 vs. 40 really isnt that much of a difference on an oval pool in regards to cost, adding a few feet of waterline tile and a couple more yards of shotcrete wouldnt change by more than a grand I would think. The intlliflo pump is actually pretty quiet, its the spa air blower thats the noisiest, just build a small pony wall around the equipment to hide it and direct the noise elsewhere, you want the shortest run you can handle.

Send your birds eye view dimensioned site plan (no need for an engineered set to bid out, your subs will work off your site plan to bid) and the design out for bids now to 3 pool companies and all of the trades individually. Google "Kings Pool Rebar" and "Kelly's Pool Rebar" in "Houston", get bids from them and ask them also what other trades they like to work with, such as the plumber and excavator, get all of your bids in, make a spreadsheet and then you can rework your budget and go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.