Looking to move on from Frog BAC PAC system…

Jun 25, 2013
Green Bay, WI
I’ve had the frog system since I installed it when we moved into the house 8ish years ago. Has been a good system once the pool was up and running. But at $30 a cartridge now that last 3-4 weeks it’s getting pricier every year.

So once this cartridge is done I want to switch to the system you all advocate for on here. I opened the pool with the SLAM method and the water has been looking great the last few weeks. Here are my current readings, what should my steps be to maintain going forward?

FC 5

CC 0

TA 150

Calcium 90

CYA 40

PH 7.2

Last edited:
I’ve had the frog system since I installed it when we moved into the house 8ish years ago. Has been a good system once the pool was up and running. But at $30 a cartridge now that last 3-4 weeks it’s getting pricier every year.

So once this cartridge is done I want to switch to the system you all advocate for on here. I opened the pool with the SLAM method and the water has been looking great the last few weeks. Here are my current readings, what should my steps be to maintain going forward?

FC 10

CC 0

TA 150

Calcium 90

CYA 40
Please include your pH reading.
Lower your pH to 7.4 with muractic acid which will also lower TA. Then let pH rise and lower it again. The goal is to get TA to 70-80 over time. do not be in a hurry by putting your pH below 7.0 Please read Managing pH and Total Alkalinity - Further Reading
Keep your CYA in the 40-60 range throughout the summer. If you find your FC is burning off too quickly then raise CYA from 40 to 50.
Continue to use liquid chlorine for all your additions to maintain FC and muractic acid to manage pH and TA.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The way I’m reading it my levels are good…is that right?
As noted earlier, it may be good to lower your TA - see post #2. However, you will need to let your pH rise to 7.8/8.0 then lower pH and TA together. Keep repeating this process until TA is 80.
You are on low end of Target for CYA of 40ppm. So keep your FC on the high side with summer coming on. Monitor your daily FC loss to allow for any excessive usage that may consume more FC.
If you find your FC is burning off too quickly then you may need to raise your CYA level.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.