Looking to install a Heater/Chiller

New guy here.

All of the quotes are around $8k give or take. The brands I have been quoted are Pentair, Hayward, and Rheem. My pool equipment is Pentair. Are any of these better than the others? Thank you.
If you have automation, stick with Pentair.
Rheem is a brand name that has been making HVAC systems "forever." A pool heat pump/chiller is just an A/C system designed to "condition" pool water instead of air.

Thanks for that. The Pentair guy was my least favorite as they didn't seem to have their stuff together. The Rheem guy is the only turnkey operation. The others have me going to get my own electrician. Not sure if that changes your opinion at all. Thanks again.

Tell us what your current equipment is- automation, controls, pump model, filter, how you chlorinate your pool, spa?

How many gallons in the pool?

Tell us what your current equipment is- automation, controls, pump model, filter, how you chlorinate your pool, spa?

How many gallons in the pool?

I have Pentair Easytouch control system. I use the screenlogic to control everything. Pentair intelliflo VSF pump. The pool is chlorine with UV, and is around 18,500 gallons. No spa. Is this the info you are looking for? Thanks.

What do you mean automation? I don't know very much about any of this.
Your EasyTouch system is automation and will work with any heat pump.

I would not get Hayward. Pentair, Rheem, or Aquacal are all good units.

Get whichever one you can get the best parts and service on.

I would not get Hayward.
I just received another quote that was quite a bit lower than the others. It calls for a Hayward 120k model number HP31204T.

1. Why not Hayward considering the price difference?
2. Is this pump big enough to cool an 18,500 gallon pool that gets sun most of the day?

I assume the price difference ($1500) from other quotes is a smaller heat pump.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1. Why not Hayward considering the price difference?

People have problems getting Hayward HPs serviced. Manuals for the HPs are sketchy. And they have no consistency in models that indicates they are manufactured by a 3rd party.

2. Is this pump big enough to cool an 18,500 gallon pool that gets sun most of the day?

It is 120K BTUs. All BTUs are equal.

The largest HPs are in the 120K to 140K BTU range.

I assume the price difference ($1500) from other quotes is a smaller heat pump.

Compare the BTU ratings of the other quotes.

I think Hayward HPs are lower cost because they have to move them.

Last edited:
I have a Glaciel Chiller which works with my Pentair Automation with no problem. Can turn it on/off, set schedules for it, etc. I love my Chilner and wouldn’t trade it for anything down here in Houston. I also have a MasterTemp 400 for the Spa/Pool. Just a matter of preference.