Looking to DIY own pool

Dugsept

Sep 5, 2023
Hi All

Looking for any advice and help on how to DIY my own pool. Building new home which will not be ready until March 2024. Thought I would start the process of looking at equipment and any advice or help on who to use for drawings and permits subs?

Hi All

Looking for any advice and help on how to DIY my own pool. Building new home which will not be ready until March 2024. Thought I would start the process of looking at equipment and any advice or help on who to use for drawings and permits subs?
Welcome! First off would be to try and figure out what kind of skills you have and why type of pool you’re planning on. Is this a real DIY or are you just general managing the project and hiring subs for all the labor?

Just starting construction tomorrow on mine. I used BYOP. Take a look at my build thread (link in signature) to see how things have been going.

While they have been ok to deal with you pay a lot for their design drawings. When I signed up it was $2,995. They do offer guidance and suggestions but it is mostly what you want. They produce a construction drawing, permit application drawing (one for the pool and one for gas), drawing for the HOA, and a layout drawing. They are available for general consultation throughout the process and that has gone just ok.

Working with BYOP's equipment supplier partner was a bit laborious going back and forth as I tried to figure out my automation. Ultimately, they beat a competitors equipment pricing for a "FULL ORDER" (not piecemeal like a pump from here, filter from there, etc.) and increased the equipment manufacturers warranty to 5 years. They also provided a good list of contractors as a starting point. You still have to handle all the interactions with the contractors, evaluation of their quotes, vetting them, and coordination for the construction.

Managing the project, have all the trades sign and date the original plan sheet to show proof of what your expectations are. If using a contract, minimum wording “ as per plans and city requirements “ so if it doesn’t pass inspection it was not to city requirements. Lots more details for Owner Builders.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.