Looking for tips on first above ground pool.

WizyTheNinja

Apr 14, 2023
Georgia, USA
Hello all! Been browsing through these forums for the last few weeks looking at all the tips for installing an above ground pools and such. Many great tips and suggestion, but I am still a little doubtful on my approach to installing my pool, and I am looking for some suggestions/feedback.
First of all, I plan on getting a 15' x 48" above ground pool, so my first question is recommendations. Are "Bestway" pools worth the purchase for a first time pool, or would it be best to invest a few hundred more in an intex? It would essentially be just me and my fiancée swimming in it.
Secondly, I live in Georgia, and my yard is essentially nothing but rocky red clay. What would be the best approach to leveling it out properly?
I found the area I would like to install the pool, and I created an 18ft diameter circle with marking paint, just to give clearance for the posts, as well as leveling the area around the pool a tad more, as I have a decent sized grade in my yard. Is 18ft for a 15ft pool too much, too little?
My approach is to dig out to the lowest point and an additional 2 inches, then backfill the 2 inches with some form of crushed rock/dust, then use either sand or some form of foam as a soft base for the liner, while putting the posts ontop of 4 inch thich 12x12 pavers.
Would this approach work? Is there any other ways to do it that wouldn't cost as much?
Thanks in advance!

Typically you want to level to the lowest point, not build up the area, so if one point is 3" lower than all the others dig that 3". My backyard has a huge dip that was made to level the pool ... makes cutting the grass "fun"! 18 foot area for a 15 foot pool seems OK.

Sand works, how much for 15' is the question, I had to order 4 tons for 24' round, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 tons? I've seen posts about foam boards under the liner.

Yes, I plan on digging down to the lowest point. My goal was to dig an additional 2 inches below the lowest point, leveling it all out, then using 2" of crushed stone or dust to fill that 2" back in, because bare clay likes to crack and also turns into mush easily with water. I wanted to ensure proper drainage and eliminate the clay cracking by adding 2" of a base with some form of rock/dust, then maybe use sand or foam. From my research, about 1.5 cubic yards of sand would be sufficient for 15'.
My main questions was should I actually dig the additonal 2" down and backfill, or just place ontop of the clay with a 2" sand barrier for liner, and just pavers under posts. I am worried the clay will do what clay does and eventually wash out.
If I should dig the 2" down, what should i replace it with? Pea rock? Gravel? Pure stone dust, such as paver base?
Thanks!

Sorry, I had to work today...

I can't answer this because I don't know the dynamics of clay soil. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.