Looking for tips/advice on installing new pool pump

Sep 26, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My new Black&Decker pump arrived and I'm hoping to install it this week.

However, I discovered that the old pump does not have removable unions so I will have to cut it out. I had a couple of issues/questions, though. I figured better to ask before I start cutting.

The inlet pipe is extremely close to the valve and I'm not sure how best to go about it. It also appears that it is glued directly into the valve, but it is hard to tell. Is it actually screwed in and then joined to the pump union with the outer sleeve labeled Suction?

Here of a few pics of the setup. Any advice on the best way to go about this would be appreciated.

Pump1.jpg
Pump2.jpg
Pump3.jpg

It'll probably be cut and dry. (HeeHee)

Screenshot_20240205_195917_Chrome.jpg

Cut close to the pump at the arrow and there's plenty of pipe for a new pump union.

However, it looks like it could be tight if the new pump is longer so don't worry if it doesn't fit and get creative. It'll fit sideways if it has to and some 90s will never matter in a noticeable way. It appears the electric will reach sideways, which would be nice. Lol

Screenshot_20240205_200105_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: DavidArmenB
The rain finally stopped and I was able to start working on the install today.

However, I quickly ran into a new problem. I discovered that the concrete pad is tilted significantly due to settling from the sand filter being on one end. To see how severe it was, I used a metal pipe to level it and realized that it is 10 degrees or more.

Pool Pump Uneven.jpg

Would be interested in hearing some ideas/suggestions on a good long term solution.

San,

The long term solution is to remove the current thin pad and replace it with a poured in-place concrete pad.. :mrgreen:

The most logical solution is to replace your hammer with some shims of some kind.. Could be wood or plastic..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Sansfear
That is such a simple solution that it never occurred to me. I've never had a need for shims that size and didn't know they existed until now.

$2.28 for a bundle at Home Depot sounds a lot cheaper than a new concrete pad!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.