Looking for pump recommendations

Amypie

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
Poughkeepsie, NY
Hi Seasoned Pool People!

Last year I asked the group for filter recommendations and I switched from an ancient DE filter to a Hayward Swim Clear 325 sq ft cartridge filter. I’m very happy with the filter, it does a great job, without the mess. Now it’s time to upgrade the pump. I have a Hayward 1HP Superpump that was new when I bought my house 11 years ago (and it works fine every season) but I really want something much more energy efficient. The one pool tech person that I trusted told me several years ago that for a 6,000 gallon pool (it’s really a bit less) the 1 HP was probably more than I actually need, for future reference. I’m interested in a variable speed pump (although I’m not exactly sure how they work), I definitely would like a smaller electric bill. My utility company is offering a $500 rebate so I think now is the time to make the switch. I would appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Amy

What electric service do you have at the pad?

If 230, this is a good choice...

If you have 115, about the only two VSP in 115...

Definitely not 230. I will take a look at the two in 115. Thanks!

I have another question: these pumps are both “trade grade”. Do you know if I need to go through a dealer to purchase? I’m wondering if the warranties are void if not professionally installed.

Do you know if I need to go through a dealer to purchase? I’m wondering if the warranties are void if not professionally installed.
Correct. Pentair has EC grade that gives you 1 year warranty for DIY.

Review what it would take to upgrade to 220V service. Lot's of options then.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.