Looking for Custom Program Options for Century Vgreen Evo Motor

I also see some new literature on the v-green evo website which mentions Century Connect. Wonder if there is a way to upgrade existing EVO motors or if we are SOL.

EDIT: found this article

"Century is planning a timer board upgrade to allow more pool automation functionality. In addition, the upgraded board will be available for aftermarket upgrades of the original motors."

Last edited:
Can you link to the marketing material that you speak of? Just installed an EVO motor and the schedules are far too limiting.
To be fully compliant with California Title 20, not only does a pump or motor have to be variable-speed (2-speed motors are no longer DOE compliant for the most part), it also is supposed to default to the lower speeds. Motors of 1750 RPM or less aren't covered. The EVO is, with its many California options and most of the others is truly California-compliant.

Can't count how many VSP I ran across over the years that were set up to run 3450 and nothing else. Still happens, saw one two weeks ago, lazy installer. There is zero savings doing that. And while the motor is legal, the install isn't. Apparently Century decided to force compliance with this motor.

Last edited:
Ever hear anything back? I reached out a few times and nothing...
Nope, they wrote back and said they forwarded the message to the proper division, but never heard back. I am sorry that I trusted Inyo Pools' recommendation of this pump motor. While it is able to be set to run at different speeds, if you aren't able to "vary" the speeds to meet your particular needs, it isn't really "variable".

Nope, they wrote back and said they forwarded the message to the proper division, but never heard back. I am sorry that I trusted Inyo Pools' recommendation of this pump motor. While it is able to be set to run at different speeds, if you aren't able to "vary" the speeds to meet your particular needs, it isn't really "variable".
Yea, that's annoying for sure. Did you see my other reply about "Century Connect"? Wonder if that changes anything...

See attachments

Attachments

• C0069E (1).pdf
    615.9 KB · Views: 6
  • C00065E (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
I wish I have read these posts before jumping in the boat. But how can I look for posts like these before I buy it.
I am stuck with the same problem. I planned to run 2 hour full speed for Polaris cleaner and skimmer and then low speed 1100 rpm on salt water chlorine generator. Unfortunately, flow switch doesn't respond to that low rpm. The only option for now will be 2 hr 3400 rpm, + 2 hr 2700 rpm + the rest 1750 rpm.

At first, I felt let down, like a hihg school quarterback being teased by a cheerleader. But, then I perused the links you referenced. I'm going to have to devote some time to try and decipher what everyone is doing on those threads, i.e. what adapters, boards, cabling, etc. they're using, and if this will even work on the Evo motors. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Hey MrLeadFoot, I am nearby in Folsom! Recently bought the EVO (EVC225) as well. The printed manual has extensive instructions for hooking up to 3rd party control systems through RS-485 connector with motor in Schedule D. I'm not using it but was in a similar 'facepalm' situation with lack of control of RPM from a 'variable' motor. I was running fine at 1100 RPM (SchA.6) with SWG, but over time, my pump is accumulating air and I'm not confident no H2 is getting trapped inside, so I switched to SchA.5 with 3 min prime at 3450RPM, then at 1750RPM. My 'control' system is a Lutron Caseta switch connected to a relay that switches motor on/off with my full wifi control. No wifi control of RPM of course. Good to know the VLink is not going to work.

I wish I have read these posts before jumping in the boat. But how can I look for posts like these before I buy it.
I am stuck with the same problem. I planned to run 2 hour full speed for Polaris cleaner and skimmer and then low speed 1100 rpm on salt water chlorine generator. Unfortunately, flow switch doesn't respond to that low rpm. The only option for now will be 2 hr 3400 rpm, + 2 hr 2700 rpm + the rest 1750 rpm.
Yep, that's Schedule A-1, I believe. I've tried them all and have come back to this one, too. It sucks that they have all those other programs, but they all run this "variable" speed pump for too many hours on high RPMs, which defeats the purpose of having a variable speed pump as a main pump. I can see how it might be good on the low 1-speed settings for an auxiliary circulating pump. I try to console myself into believing that this type of magnet pump is more efficient than the traditional single-speed pump, but that's to be determined.

Hey MrLeadFoot, I am nearby in Folsom! Recently bought the EVO (EVC225) as well. The printed manual has extensive instructions for hooking up to 3rd party control systems through RS-485 connector with motor in Schedule D. I'm not using it but was in a similar 'facepalm' situation with lack of control of RPM from a 'variable' motor. I was running fine at 1100 RPM (SchA.6) with SWG, but over time, my pump is accumulating air and I'm not confident no H2 is getting trapped inside, so I switched to SchA.5 with 3 min prime at 3450RPM, then at 1750RPM. My 'control' system is a Lutron Caseta switch connected to a relay that switches motor on/off with my full wifi control. No wifi control of RPM of course. Good to know the VLink is not going to work.
I just looked at that Lutron switch you mentioned. I never thought of just using one of those types of switches as an on/off switch. I have a manual Intermatic timer, and once in a while want to turn it on and back off outside of the normal on/off schedule. Having the ability to do that remotely would be great. The Intermatic is actually connected to an outdoor switch that turns the timer on and off, so I guess I should research whether or not someone makes an outdoor wi-fi switch. I have some indoor Feit switches that have full scheduling capabilities, so maybe Feit makes something I can use. Then, I would be able to just take all mechanical off switches off the Intermatic and use the Feit switch's scheduling. I am curious, though, as to why you have a relay connected to your switch. Can't you just use the switch to turn the pump on directly?

Also, have you figured out what it might take to be able to control your pump's RPMs via an external controller? If so, please share what you've learned.

Just stumbled across this thread -- I posted a while back on another thread that I was able to get a custom Node-RED to Home Assistant interface working using RS485 and the 1.65hp VGreen Evo Motor; it uses the same protocol as the older VGreen (non Evo) motors. I'm using a USB serial adapter running to a small SBC (Radxa Rock Pi S), which is also running AqualinkD to talk to my Jandy controller (separately). Let me know if you want more information (I have some cleanup I'd have to do before making the NR Flow public).

There is also this ESPHome project available (have not used that one though).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just stumbled across this thread -- I posted a while back on another thread that I was able to get a custom Node-RED to Home Assistant interface working using RS485 and the 1.65hp VGreen Evo Motor; it uses the same protocol as the older VGreen (non Evo) motors. I'm using a USB serial adapter running to a small SBC (Radxa Rock Pi S), which is also running AqualinkD to talk to my Jandy controller (separately). Let me know if you want more information (I have some cleanup I'd have to do before making the NR Flow public).

There is also this ESPHome project available (have not used that one though).
I am absolutely interested. Why is everyone else saying the RS485 port on these is dead if you were able to get it working? :unsure:

@shbatm : I'm wondering the same thing. Although I have experience writing code, I'm a bit confused when you mentioned using a "Note-RED to Home Assistant interface". For clarification, can we do something directly from a PC, and not need any other interfaces, aside from the serial USB adapter (I assume somehow wired to an RS485 plug)? Like:

PC ==> USB Serial Device ==>> RS485 plug ==> EVO Motor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.