Looking for chlorine again... as usual... Help me switch to SWG!

Salbailey

Apr 24, 2022
Wooster, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The higher the chlorine percentage the more unstable it is. Given the time it takes to get from the manufacturing plant to your home even if they can make 20% it would still be about 12.5% once you poured it in the pool. On top of that the escaped chlorine gas would do a number on the trucks it was transported in.

Granular is more efficient, in that there is no water weight, but given that it costs more per PPM of chlorine and/or adds CYA or calcium to the water it is far from more efficient to use. Using a product that will require thousands of gallons to be dumped and replaced is not my idea of less wasteful. Also this is not a case of "they add CYA to the powder", the powder is trichlor or dichlor, a chemical composition that includes both CYA molecules and chlorine. If you can figure out a way to bind chlorine to something other than CYA, calcium, or lithium to create a stable solid form then that patent would be worth quite a fortune. Assuming the chemical you bind it to is safe to be allowed to build up in a swimming pool, that is.

If you are concerned about waste you will want to install an SWG and avoid SLAMing in the future. On-site chlorine production, when managed properly, virtually eliminates the need for additional chlorine sources.
I feel like all I'm ever doing is SLAMing - I get the pool great, slack off for one minute, then we are back to SLAMing. I would L O V E to switch to a SWG system - Could you please point me in the right direction on how to do the switchover? DIY is how we would do it. Thank you!!

Hi Everyone! We would like to close soon but our pool is green so I'm looking everywhere for chlorine... again... at the end of September... :rolleyes:

I feel like all I'm ever doing is SLAMing - I get the pool great, slack off for ONE minute, then we are back to SLAMing. I would L O V E to switch to a SWG system - Could you please point me in the right direction on how to do the switchover? DIY is how we would do it. Thank you!!

You would want one rated for at least 30k gal for your size pool as we recommend one rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume.
Which one you choose will depend on your budget and what features are most important to you.
I have an old Hayward Aquarite system with a new pureline replacement t15 40k gal cell. So far I like it. The jury is out on longevity but Many here have been happy with the Pureline systems (from inyopools) for the cost. It has a fairly short warranty compared to other options but the price reflects this.
There’s also several circupool options along with Hayward aquarite & pentair ic models that would be fine for your pool. Any of those mentioned above have a good reputation here.
Here’s a good comparison chart for actual outputs, warranties etc.

I have Circupool Universal25. They also do a Universal40 that would work for your pool. I did mine myself - it wasn’t too difficult. I’m not great with getting my measurements perfect with PVC, but I didn’t have to cut too many extra pieces. LOL

www.discountsaltpool.com usually has a promo where you add the next size down to your cart then upgrade to next size for $10 or $20.

Reactions: Mdragger88
By the way, you really do need to either SLAM pool now, or in the spring, before you use SWCG. They are great for maintaining chlorine level once you have it where you want it, but not for bumping up chlorine several ppm several times a day. They also won‘t work in cold water, but if your water is clear before temps dip, you won’t have algae if you don’t go without chlorine once it warms up again.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.