Looking for Automatic Pool Cleaner that links into existing filters

Apr 6, 2012
Puglia, Italy
Hi everyone

Haven't been here for a while so sorry that my first post is asking for advice.

I have a large pool, and would really prefer to find an automatic cleaner that takes the dirt into the pool filters, as otherwise I would probably spend as much time cleaning the filters as I do cleaning the pool manually.

Our son did find one a couple of years ago on an American web site, but we cannot now trace it, and I was wondering if our American friends can shed any light on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Hi everyone

Haven't been here for a while so sorry that my first post is asking for advice.

I have a large pool, and would really prefer to find an automatic cleaner that takes the dirt into the pool filters, as otherwise I would probably spend as much time cleaning the filters as I do cleaning the pool manually.

Our son did find one a couple of years ago on an American web site, but we cannot now trace it, and I was wondering if our American friends can shed any light on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

If you're referring to robotic cleaners, it takes less than a minute to clean the filters, if you can clean your pool manually in that time then skip the robot.

It takes me 4 hours to clean the pool, but I have seen how dirty our friends robot filters get and their pool is about half the size of ours. He has two filters which he keeps swapping out. I just think it would be so much easier to have the dirt go to the filters and then backwash when the robot has finished.

Would I need a professional robot for a pool our size (8 mtr x 25 mtr)?

Nearly every inquiry about suction side cleaners will get vectored into a robot discussion in this forum.

The big poolvergnugen does a good job on large complex pools.

Im quite happy with my MX8-elite although some say its delicate and one guy says its falling apart after 6 years you can look forward to a hefty rebuild on any complex device after that period of time.

The Zodiac T5 with its square sail does quite a good job as well - far better than my creepy or g3/g5 its much more aggressive in getting to the shallow and and climbing walls.

Good luck let us know what you choose and how it works.

UD

It takes me 4 hours to clean the pool, but I have seen how dirty our friends robot filters get and their pool is about half the size of ours. He has two filters which he keeps swapping out. I just think it would be so much easier to have the dirt go to the filters and then backwash when the robot has finished.

Would I need a professional robot for a pool our size (8 mtr x 25 mtr)?

That's a very large pool by American standards. Yes, you'd need a "pro" model, but at 4 hours per vacuuming, you need to calculate what your time is worth. The hour or two I don't spend vacuuming each week allows me to make better use of my limited and valuable free time.

Nearly every inquiry about suction side cleaners will get vectored into a robot discussion in this forum.

The big poolvergnugen does a good job on large complex pools.

Im quite happy with my MX8-elite although some say its delicate and one guy says its falling apart after 6 years you can look forward to a hefty rebuild on any complex device after that period of time.

The Zodiac T5 with its square sail does quite a good job as well - far better than my creepy or g3/g5 its much more aggressive in getting to the shallow and and climbing walls.

Good luck let us know what you choose and how it works.

UD

I will research your recommendations thank you, and if and when I do make any decision I will come back and report. I guess part of my decision making will also involve what is available here in Italy, versus the complications of importing from, say, the US, and all the Italian Customs rigmarole.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very large pool by American standards. Yes, you'd need a "pro" model, but at 4 hours per vacuuming, you need to calculate what your time is worth. The hour or two I don't spend vacuuming each week allows me to make better use of my limited and valuable free time.
It's a pretty large pool by standards here too. When we were arranging for it to be built the constructors thought it was for an hotel. I really do want a robot, but as it is going to be a pretty large expenditure I want to make sure I am getting the right one for us.

Nearly every inquiry about suction side cleaners will get vectored into a robot discussion in this forum.UD

There's a reason why they've become so popular, nearly effortless use means more time relaxing. I enjoy maintaining my pool on some level but I also have limited free time during the typical week. Pressure/suction cleaners can be great but not everyone is set up for using them and even then they tend to be more finicky. I don't mind shelling out $1,000 for convenience. I don't know that my current robot will last as long as my old one (15+ years), but even at half that time it'd be well worth the cost.

There's a reason why they've become so popular, nearly effortless use means more time relaxing. I enjoy maintaining my pool on some level but I also have limited free time during the typical week. Pressure/suction cleaners can be great but not everyone is set up for using them and even then they tend to be more finicky. I don't mind shelling out $1,000 for convenience. I don't know that my current robot will last as long as my old one (15+ years), but even at half that time it'd be well worth the cost.

Everything has its pros and cons. Pro - Robots are probably better for complex pool shapes.

The first con for myself being that a robot or a bagged type cleaner wont filter out the superfine dust I get in my area.
So in my case it flat wont work.(so far) Thats a pretty big downside.

What were the rebuild cycles on your 15 year robot?
There are lots of threads here with 4 year rebuilds costing hundreds of dollars and an hour or more of time if you can even do it yourself.
Lots of threads where they get stuck on main drains, and flip over or simply dont work for people.
You have to deal with a sensitive cord and typically an AC/dc power conversion box.

A mat type cleaner has one part a diaphragm that cost 20 bucks and your 5 year old could replace it in 30 seconds.

I do think they are very cool, but I get fantastic performance and life out of suction sides.

UD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.