Longtime reader finally joined

Still looks like copper staining. You could try a vitamin C tablet on one of the stains and see if that removes it. If it does, then an AA treatment may work.

**EDIT** Apologies. As stated below, vitamin C and AA are for iron, not copper. **END EDIT***

However, I wouldn't do any of that until you get that FC back down into control. With the FC >10ppm, your pH and TA tests are invalid. As recommended by @PoolStored and reiterated by @wireform, use a 5ml sample and 1 drop = 1ppm. But also as said by PoolStored, don't test until after sundown tonight so you can have all day for the sun's UV to eat away at your FC.

Last edited:
Copper stains can be identified by putting dry acid in a sock and rubbing it on the stain. If it comes up it is copper. (AA Treatment is for Iron)

If you can get the stain lifted with one of the treatments in this article, the only way to get the copper out of the water is to drain/replace water.

Should I just go ahead and replace water and cut my losses? I feel like it is imminent at this point since my CYA is pretty high and I have definitely added copper to my pool over the years.
I actually wouldn't mind replacing water every year if my pool builder didn't scare me by saying if I drain the pool it will ruin my liner.
I don't suppose it would hurt my liner in I drained half of my water and then replaced as I drained some more. Water doesn't cost nearly as much as these chemicals I use when I open a nasty pool filled with leaves and who knows what else. I refill my hot tub all the time and it's about 1/20th of my pool volume.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I read it all again. Do I have to let FC drop before using Metal Out?
Did you test to confirm what made the stain?

Did you test to confirm what made the stain?
Dry acid test was inconclusive to my eyes, so I ordered some Metal Magic and did a test and it did remove the stain slightly in the 5 minute test and totally in the 15 minute sponge test. The stains are difficult to see and splotchy and almost impossible to photograph, so it's subjective.
My main issue is that I have to let my FC fall back to 3ppm (1ppm is recommended) and raise my pH to 7.5 before adding the Metal Magic. It still shows "orange" on the OTO test after all this time and no chlorine added, so I'm nowhere close! It's been 3 weeks since I added chlorine, so I'm not sure what to do....

Great, let your FC fall and use the Fas-dpd to test. You can use 5ml sample, each drop = 1FC. This will save reagent. When you get down close to 1-3, then go back to 10ml samples and 1 drop = .5 FC.

Great, let your FC fall and use the Fas-dpd to test. You can use 5ml sample, each drop = 1FC. This will save reagent. When you get down close to 1-3, then go back to 10ml samples and 1 drop = .5 FC.
Is there a way to speed up the fall? Pool season will be halfway over by the time the FC is safe for swimmers at this rate.

Is there a way to speed up the fall? Pool season will be halfway over by the time the FC is safe for swimmers at this rate.
You are safe to swim with FC between minimum FC and SLAM level for your CYA. Your CYA is 70, so if FC is > 5 and less than 28, AND you can see the bottom at the deepest part of the pool, you are safe to swim.

Don't fret, swim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support