Long time lurker, first time pool build in FL

Jul 11, 2015
FL
I've been daydreaming and hanging around on and off for years, but it looks like now that we are in our new house we are finally going to pull the trigger and put in a pool. After talking with several pool builders and soliciting bids, I think we have settled on one and I would like to upload the details and pics and get your esteemed opinions. :)

I already know that we are going to bring the shallow end up to 4' and add an umbrella sleeve on the sunshelf. The pool will be adult only usage, mainly lounging and just splashing about. We are in talks with an architect to draw up plans for an addition, so these pics assume that the new edition exists. I don't like the steps coming off the back end of the pool, but that is where the new addition will be, so I am a little afraid to enlarge them at this point. We have a pretty decent slope in our yard, so we will definitely need some kind of steps there.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/help!
Pool plan.jpg

Pool Details:
POOL:

391 sq ft 3'6" to 5' deep pebble finish pool w/ (2) LED accent lights.

Hayward T-15 salt system.

50 sq ft sunshelf w/ LED accent light.

Hayward C150S Cartridge Filter

Hayward Tristar VS Pump

13'L x 12"H glass tile feature wall w/ 4' sheer fall.

DECKING:

811 sq ft concrete/acrylic deck, 94'6" footers, 94'6" - 36" block stem wall, skim/acrylic existing patio.

SCREEN ENCLOSURE:

1,182 sq ft roof, 1,134 sq ft walls, super gutter, 2 doors.
  • Package includes all manual cleaning equipment: Pole, Hose, Vacuum Head, Brush, leaf net and test strips

• Includes all permits and electrical for pool (Does not include larger service if not enough breaker space or long power runs
TIMELINE:

12-14 weeks to start from signing date – 14-18 weeks from start to have water in pool – 4 weeks of pool maintenance after start up (Schedule is Weather dependent)

DRAW SCHEDULE:
(10% down, 60% after gunite shell is installed, 20% after deck is installed and 10% upon filling of pool)
* Final payment cannot be held for the following items:
Warranty items, punch list items, spray decking, final clean up, pool school, start up and final inspections, as most contractors will not address and/or schedule these items until they are paid in full.

Pool elevation II.jpgPool elevation.jpgPool lights.jpgPool Sheer Descent II.jpgPool sheer descent.jpgPool with addition.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
You will want a return line on the Sun shelf.
Sun shelf at 6’ wide will be tight for a lounge if you point them towards the pool.
Are you thinking of more than one umbrella sleeve on the Sun shelf?
Skimmer location should be influenced by the wind direction and at a 1/3 location of that wall.
Over flow pipe will be visible from the house at that location on the wall, possibly move to the opposite wall.
Pool details show (2) led lights yet the drawing shows (3).
What will the PSI of the Shotcrete be?
What is “ house may require touch ups after construction “ all about?

I see two BIG red flags!!

* Final payment cannot be held for the following items: Warranty items, punch list items, spray decking, final clean up, pool school, start up and final inspections, as most contractors will not address and/or schedule these items until they are paid in full.

What is “ house may require touch ups after construction “ all about?

I wanted to come back and tell you I like your design. From the top it has some neat lines and looks interesting. I hope you have a two story house so you can enjoy that aspect of it.

Depth-Please hold a tape measure up to the shortest adult in the house. Where does 5' hit them? I am 5'5" tall. 5' hits me around my chin. As such 5' of water would not be much fun for me as I could not really stand there and it is not deep enough for me to really tread water in. I would go all 4' 5" for the whole pool for max use ability. Now if you are hoping for cannon ball fun you need to go to at least 6' for that area.

I wanted to come back and tell you I like your design. From the top it has some neat lines and looks interesting. I hope you have a two story house so you can enjoy that aspect of it.

Depth-Please hold a tape measure up to the shortest adult in the house. Where does 5' hit them? I am 5'5" tall. 5' hits me around my chin. As such 5' of water would not be much fun for me as I could not really stand there and it is not deep enough for me to really tread water in. I would go all 4' 5" for the whole pool for max use ability. Now if you are hoping for cannon ball fun you need to go to at least 6' for that area.
Thanks! The addition we are planning actually does have a 2nd story balcony that will be looking down on the pool area. I think the 4'5" depth may be the way to go-thanks for the advice!

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.