Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I purchased a Circupool RJ30+ and am just about ready to install it. I just wanted to verify the location before I start cutting into the pipes :oops: .

I purchased the house about 3 weeks ago and have been figuring things out as I go.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• SWG 1.jpg
    SWG 1.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 37

If you add the SWCG where you have the white box, it will feed both the Spa and the Pool.. If you had an automation system, this would not be an issue, as the automation could shut off the cell or reduce the output when in the spa mode.

Without an automation system, it would be best to add the cell to the Pool side of the Return valve.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think it has a lot to do with how you use the spa..

If you sit in it for hours, having pool level FC entering your Spa might be an issue..

If you are like me, and tend to only stay in the spa for less than an hour at a time, then maybe not much of an issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

All said so far is great. You might want to pour some numbers on it .

I'll use my case as an example:

Spa is 760 gallons. SWG makes 1.25 pounds per day. During the hot summer it runs at 40% max to keep FC in the 8-10 range The math goes

.4 * 1.25 / 24 / (8.34 * 760) * 1e6 = 3.3 ppm FC increase per hour of the spa receiving the SWG output

Since SLAM FC is in the 20's, my spa could run 3+ hours before FC might be a problem.

You should be able to plug your numbers in place of mine to see how your system will work.

The flip side is that if you plumb the cell into the pool only, the spa gets nothing when in spa mode. With many people in a heated tub, the residual FC at the start won't stand up for long. I wouldn't let it in that state for much more than 3 hours, either.

So pick your poison :) .

Thank you for the responses so far :) .

I don't anticipate sitting in the spa for more than an hour ever but of course one never knows. However, this brings up a question that I was going to ask in another thread. I don't know how to put the spa in "spa mode". I thought the right leg of the return with the 2 smaller pipes was the spa side, however today for the first time I opened up the left leg and the jets came on. I know in "spa mode" the spa should be a closed system. Am I right then to assume that the Jandy on the return and the Jandy on the input side directly below it should both be opened toward the left side for the system to be in spa mode?

Thanks.

Tom

Just to clarify, installing it on the pool side would be here, correct?

Correct...

Just to be clear... If your spa use is limited to say an hour and it is just a couple of people most of the time, it would not hurt to put the SWCG before the return valve... If you decided to have a big spa party, you can just manually turn the SWCG's output down.

It is not a big deal either way, you just need to be aware of what operation makes the most sense for you... and the way you would normally use the spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, That was my thought as well, that I could just adjust the SWG in the event of a big prolonged spa party :)

Tom
If your spa is average in size (500 -750 gallons), two people using it for 20-30 minutes can use up all the chlorine if the level is 3ppm and nothing is being added. Regardless of how clean a person may be before entering the hot water, one immediately starts to perspire and generate more body oils that the chlorine quickly reacts with and gets use up.
Put more people and the level drops very quickly. Your SWG will not over-chlorinate in that time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.