Literally Just Getting Started

Wow! You inherited quite a project. Your before and after pics are something to cherish. Good job on the chemicals last night. You're on track! Today we would expect your CYA to be in that 35-40-ish range based on the stabilizer you added, so that's done. Your FC was at about 6 or so last night. Depending on the condition of your water, some of it "may" have be used-up. So you might be able to use your new DPD kit to verify your FC level this morning. Until your new kit arrives, just make sure the FC never drops below 5. When it gets too low, that's when algae tries to bloom. An FC of 5 is a safe number based on your CYA. You can also verify that your PH is between 7.2-7.8.

Aside from that, you're in great shape! Unless your FC starts to go below 5, we typically advise to add your bleach in the evening since it won't be competing with the sun. But if you have to add in the morning or in the day to stay above 5 that's okay. You should be able to limit your pump run times as well. No need to run 24 hrs straight. Maybe back-off to 8 hours, or 4-on, 4-off, or any combination. You'll learn later what works best for you.

When you get your new kit, you'll see how nice it is to have "clear visibility" or your chemical levels without relying on the pool store. It's extremely liberating. If you have any more questions, just let us know. Have a great day!

WOW! Those before pics say it all!

How was the house? Was it as "well cared" for?

You are doing everything right! Let us know if there is anything you have questions about no matter how small. We have all been there with a new pool.

Kim

attachment.php
Here are the test results from this morning. It looks like FC got a little under 5 and the PH is too high. I know there are supposed to be thunderstorms this afternoon, so maybe I should wait to adjust PH since rain might drop it some.
More FC? I assume so - I was hoping to swim today before it starts raining.
also, I have a few leaky spots in my pump assembly. How do you fix that best, given that it's all below pool water level now?
thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 101
You can certainly start reducing the PH now with some acid. No need to wait on rain. Do it separately (30 min apart) from anything else. Be careful with the fumes and splashing. Try to get it to that 7.5 color. Don't worry too much about accuracy with the FC. Your new kit will give you that. You just want to ensure your FC stays dark red for now (over 5 on the CL scale). remember, this tester just gives you ball-park colors. Your new kit will be spot-on. :)

As for the leaks on your pump, can you describe them please? Could it be from the drain plug on the bottom, or does it appear to be internal from within the pump housing?

Thanks, how long after adding the acid should I wait to swim? I was going to just swim this morning for an hour and then add the acid later since I assume it isn't really 'unsafe' to swim in 8.2 ph, just not great for the chemicals.

As far as the leaks go, there is some in the gasket that holds the distribution valve(?) on top of the sand filter. In at least two other places it is where the plastic hose adapters are screwed into either the pump or that valve. I didn't use a wrench to tighten because I was afraid of braking stuff by more than hand tightening. I used Teflon tape pretty liberally, but I know I need to screw it in tighter. My question really is: How can I do that, now that the whole system is flooded? I can't really turn the whole hose for 3 turns, but I can't take it off either because water will go everywhere.

First the PH..... If it's over 8 or 8.2, you should add acid first to bring it down before swimming. That's just too high. Put-in the required amount based on the Poolmath calculator, let it circulate for 30 min with pump on high then check it again after that 30 mins. You definitely want it below 7.8 - ideally around 7.5 or so. To be safe, maybe give the acid about an hour before you hop in.

The leaks have various factors. Many of the PVC "unions" that thread together to another part actually have a small O-ring in it where they mate together. Sometimes those go bad. The filter valve probably has its own gasket as well. When it comes time to pull apart any connections, we generally turn-off the pump and close any/all shut-off valves which help to isolate the pump system from the pool. You'll lose the water from the pump area, but it won't keep coming from the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Later when you are really ready to pursue the serious leaks, you can post a pic or two of the part/area and that may help us give you better direction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright, a bit of a repeat, but here is the before and now of the poolside service area.

csZnvaL.jpg

otkuP7h.jpg

With this comes the question: Some of my adapters (Whatever they are called - the things between the hoses and the pump/filter) are leaky. I wrapped them pretty aggressively with tape and hand tightened them into the pump and the thing on top of the filter, but I have water coming through the threading.

How do I fix this?
  1. How do I de-preasurize the system? I can't do this with the hoses attached, but I can't take them out with the pool wanting to empty into them.
  2. What do I need to do to fix the leak? Is it enough if I tighten it, or do I need to take them out, re-wrap the tape, and then tighten them firmer. I intially didn't apply my 18' pipe wrench because the instructions said 'hand tighten' and others in the family were concerned that I might break stuff by using the wrench, but I'm kindof wimpy. Given my other plumbing projects (and hate for all things tape - I use the paste you also use for gas stuff) I was afraid this wasn't tight enough. The instructions say not to use the paste because it can ruin the parts. Anyways, how do I get this tight enough without breaking stuff?

you could try using a tool to tighten them. just be vary careful! I use a rubber strap wrench, cuz if I try to get to rough it just slips on the fitting. plus it places the pressure all around the fitting instead of in just one place.

I had to go back and forth a few times to REALLY know it was the same spot/pool! WOW! How many bags, wheelbarrows did it take to clean all of those leaves up???? NICE JOB!

Okay the real reason you are here-filter set up

-HARD plumb everything! Use unions and valves. I will post links at the bottom of what these will look like.

Why do this:
-safer-the flex hose will become brittle and start leaking over time.
-secure-IF/when a critter or person knocks into that the way it is it will come loose.
-easier to work with. You will be able to close the valves and not lose any water when you need to work on the equipment. The unions will allow you to take the pipes off to work on the stuff also.

I can shoot you a pic of my set up so you can kind of copy it.

PVC is easy to work with!

For right now you can put a carrot or potato (weird huh?) and put them in the skimmer and return to keep the water from rushing out while you work on the stuff.

pool union fittings - Google Search

pool union fittings - Google Search

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kim

Thanks for the tips.
Kim, since you asked earlier, the rest of the house was similarly well cared for. I bought the whole thing as a short sale for $50.000 without an inspection - someone in the family lent me money for that and about $20.000 worth of repairs. That was the only way we could afford a home on one grad student stipend and one person staying home with the little one. Since you like before-after pics, here is a, um, gif of the bathroom from the first walkthrough after we closed on the house, followed by one in-progress and three almost done pics from last year. I haven't taken one lately, pretty much all that is still missing is the door (ahem, yes, bathroom without a door) and ceiling trim:
Scary_Bathroom.gif

oHO6V4x.jpg

nDW5tgv.jpg

jazF7TH.jpg

QKWAsRI.jpg

All that is to say - I still got bigger fish to fry than changing from flex to hard plumbing on the pool. We still need doors on the kitchen cabinets, the downstairs bathroom looks like this:

5jnmegu.jpg

I do appreciate the tip on how to plug things, that will help. I'll try to just go ahead and tighten them more, I can always go back and re-do the Teflon tape.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I hope my full test kit comes soon. For now I'm just trying to keep everything pinker than 5 with the kit I got.

WOW! First off--------you got a short sell to go through??????? I have not seen even one go through of all of the ones I have seen tried! How long did it take from when you found the house and closed?

WOW on the work done in that bathroom---------to the studs sure was the only way to go! I LOVE the tile in the tub area. That sink is purrrrfect for that room! Did you do the work?

Is the bathroom a good "picture" of how the whole house was? You are a brave person but look at what you will end up with!

You rock!

Kim

Ok, my Taylor K-2006 was waiting on my steps for me this afternoon, and here is what I got:

FC: 3 (My other kit said >5 last night and I added enough for another 1 ppm last night so something odd is afoot)
CC: <0.5 I did the test and there was a slight color change when I added one drop. We did swim in it maybe two hours before.
PH: 7.6
CYA: ~30 That test is really hard to do because 'disappearing' black dot is pretty ambiguous.
TA: 80
CH: 80

should I up the CYA to 40? I'm not anticipating putting anything in that adds it (I still have the Calcium Hypochlorite they wouldn't let me return. I have to look up if that raises it or if that just raises CH)

Any idea why my pool seems to be guzzling 2-3 ppm FC in these first few days?
i did find some leaves in the skimmer, and it seems like the chlorine is turning those to mush really fast.

i'llgo add 2.5 ppm FC and wait for more advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.