Liquid shock, chlorine free shock, or regular shock

mike1331

May 5, 2022
Penna.
If this question was already asked, I apologize. What is the preference here on this site. The liquid chlorine, chlorine free shock, or just the regular shock. I have a 16 X 32 inground pool with a vinyl liner that I just replaced last fall before closing. The original vinyl liner lasted 16 years, and I used the regular shock 99.9% of the time. Thanks, Mike

For those who already have an adequate CYA (stabilizer) level and only want to add free chlorine, liquid chlorine is preferred. Try to ignore the term "shock". That's a selling gimmick term. Liquid chlorine is basically all the same, but some products have the term shock added as if it's something better. Liquid chlorine is all the same except for perhaps the strength - % strength. Some are 10% and others about 12%.

Does that answer your question?

Liquid chlorine is the preferred chemical for sanitizing and "shocking" your pool. BTW, as TX Splash said, "shock" is a marketing term. Look carefully at the ingredient list on a container of "shock" and you'll see the active ingredient is chlorine. To make shock shelf-stable the add stabilizer (CYA) to it along with other chemicals you don't really need.

If this question was already asked, I apologize. What is the preference here on this site. The liquid chlorine, chlorine free shock, or just the regular shock. I have a 16 X 32 inground pool with a vinyl liner that I just replaced last fall before closing. The original vinyl liner lasted 16 years, and I used the regular shock 99.9% of the time. Thanks, Mike
You should stay away from non-chlorine (chlorine free) shock assuming it’s MPS.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Follow-up question, if I may. A gallon of liquid chlorine is only 10% chlorine, but a one pound bag of shock is 65% available chlorine. But if you take 10% (liquid) of 128 oz in a gallon equals about 12.8 oz of chlorine. And, 65% of the 16 oz bag of shock is about 10.4 oz of chlorine. So, if my math is correct, you actually get more available chlorine in that liquid gallon , than the one pound bag. ????? Thanks again, Mike

Follow-up question, if I may. A gallon of liquid chlorine is only 10% chlorine, but a one pound bag of shock is 65% available chlorine. But if you take 10% (liquid) of 128 oz in a gallon equals about 12.8 oz of chlorine. And, 65% of the 16 oz bag of shock is about 10.4 oz of chlorine. So, if my math is correct, you actually get more available chlorine in that liquid gallon , than the one pound bag. ????? Thanks again, Mike
The 1lb bag has other stuff in it that you may not want in the water.

You should go to the old poolmath app on the bottom of the forum home page. Set up a pool of 10k gallons at top and then play with adding your 65% and 10% stuff at the bottom to see the results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.