Liner thickness

Astross89

Aug 20, 2017
Palm bay
My wife and I are looking to purchase a 21 ft above ground pool. We live in Florida and we're looking at the Aurora from pool Factory. We're trying to decide on what liner. We were thinking thicker the better. So we were looking at the 40 gauge liner. We're reading a couple of things that thicker is not better. What does everyone say here? Thank you so much. It's a lot of money we want to make sure we purchase the right one. The image below has us second guessing ourselves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230526_085612_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230526_085612_Facebook.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 9
Not sure about the 40 gauge lasting longer or less but 27-30 gauge is often a good recommendation & quite sufficient for most applications. As far as the stretching with thicker liners goes that is generally only an issue with pools that have alot of angles/features/curves like steps/ledges etc. an above ground pool doesn’t generally have any of these attributes.
The thickness doesn’t have any bearing on how fast it will fade. The color/ dyes have more to do with that.
The 27-30 gauge range usually has plenty of pattern choices to pick from as well making it where most people land.
If taken care of properly any liner can last a decade.
As mentioned in the article you posted gauge & mil are different measurements

Reactions: PoolStored
My last pool liner was a plain blue wall with swirl bottom overlap. I would think it wasn't the greatest liner that was supplied and it lasted 20 years. The floor did start delaminating at about 16/17 years old and got progressively worse as it aged. Other than a small hole or tear above the water level about 2 years in it was fine (except for the delamination) for all those years until it tore and was not repairable. I personally think almost any liner will be OK assuming nothing damages it. I say go for the pattern you like the best and don't discount it because it is a lower thickness.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.