Apr 15, 2020
Pageland SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey y'all!

I will get my liner replaced this fall/winter, and I have a few questions.

A) What should I expect it to cost.

The pool is 20x40, 30,000 gal, and approximately 3' and 8' deep. There are only two places local ish to me that I know of to do it, but they both come highly recommended. I have spoken with one company, and without coming to look at it gave me a ballpark of $4800-$5200 based on my description. That's about what I was expecting, but I have no real baseline.

B) Is there anything in particular that I should know? Anything I should ask, or watch out for? Any sort of upgraded liner I should ask about, etc?

Oh, also!

C) Would covering the pool in winter, and possibly with a solar cover during the swim season, do anything much to extend the longevity of this new liner? Not that the old one died prematurely. Best we can calculate this liner is around 10 years old. I do use TFPC methods and chlorinate with appropriate levels of bleach, so I don't think over chlorination or PH levels ruining it early are a concern.

I've been a pool owner for all of about 3 years, this is all still very new to me.

I believe we want a dark blue, but I guess they would give us samples or at least a chart for us to ponder over.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220824-114620-946.png
    Screenshot_20220824-114620-946.png
    499.2 KB · Views: 36
Not sure on SC prices, buy mine was in that range and I am on Long Island, in NY (i have the same size pool). I would image that covering would help keep any damage from the sun. But I think proper chemistry is probably going to be what helps get the most out of the liner. If what was told to me when I bought my house was true, my liner lasted 11 years. But I don't think it was 3 or 4 years old at the time. It was already showing a good amount of fading.

I paid about $6K for liner replacement in March of this year (and $11K in total including refinish of the bottom and replacement of the light). Darker blue liner this time around and we love it. There is thread on here that shows many liner designs and colors...

Remember - you need a warm sunny day for best results on a liner replacement - should plan accordingly in terms of time of year.

The first place I've talked to says that I have to drain the pool for them to measure it and give me an official quote. Is this accurate?

I don't really mind that, but I want a quote from one other company before I decide, and the other company says they are a few weeks out from being able to give me a quote.

I don't know that I want to drain it for the next few weeks. We may get lucky and have some swim weather still.

No - you do not need to drain the pool to have it measured - and I would not leave any pool drained for any length of time. (and would not drain a pool if I could avoid it unless it is the day the liner is being replaced.)

I would run from anyone that tells you that.

So - Ted Leonard of Blue Devil Pools did mine and he is in Matthews. Not sure if he would go to Pageland, but he is worth a call. He is incredibly knowledgeable and easy to work with. He made our ratty 1996 pool look like a new pool and worked almost non-stop for three days to get the liner out / bottom updated / light replaced / liner in. He is a one man show and takes a ton of pride in his work.

www.bdliners.com (704) 882-5730

Thanks, I'll give him a call! On an expense this size, I'll take as many quotes as I can get.

Our liner has been faded and wrinkly since we took the pool over. We're very excited to go into next season with a fresh new look and no wrinkles.

For reference, I watched the looplock rep measure my hole, with a expandable pool pole and a tape measure. Water in the hole wouldn't have mattered. (y)

So - Ted Leonard of Blue Devil Pools did mine and he is in Matthews. Not sure if he would go to Pageland, but he is worth a call. He is incredibly knowledgeable and easy to work with. He made our ratty 1996 pool look like a new pool and worked almost non-stop for three days to get the liner out / bottom updated / light replaced / liner in. He is a one man show and takes a ton of pride in his work.

www.bdliners.com (704) 882-5730
I just got off the phone with him, seems like a great guy and probably someone who's great to do business with.

He told me he does service to my area, but that he'd probably be twice as expensive as someone local to me, or as a pool local to him.

I picked his brain about Kiker wanting me to drain my pool. He said that is most likely because they probably use a laser measuring system that makes measuring easy and accurate, but it requires the pool to be empty. He also said measuring a rectangle pool is a piece of cake and that shouldn't be necessary.

He also said draining a pool like mine for 2 weeks this time of year wouldn't bother him. But, he said, having it empty when weather is cooler causes more problems and he would be afraid they won't get their liner for 6 weeks or more, and I'd possibly get stuck with an empty pool when it's colder.

So, it sounds like in his opinion, if Kiker could indeed get in and knock it out in just a few weeks draining the pool won't be an issue. He said they'd remove the liner when they drain and measure, and *IF* there were delays stretching into colder weather it might be a problem.

Quality Pool and Spa in Lancaster, SC is going to come give me a quote, but they say they are several weeks out.

Reactions: Lanzz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.