Liner replacement/wall repair

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
We plan to replace the liner on our 28' AGP early next spring. We also need to check the interior wall for damage because the outside of the wall is showing multiple rust places (photos attached). Is it ok to leave the pool 2/3 full and uncovered over the winter? Once we are ready to remove the old liner, how do we get ALL the water out? Should we go ahead and hire someone now to do the repairs/change the liner - with the plan to have the work done next Feb-April?

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    790.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 85
Good luck finding someone to repair the pool walls. When you remove the liner you may find that pool is terminal with rust.

@zea3 @Casey

Reactions: Casey
Based on the second photo alone, that pool is toast. It has been previously patched at the bottom under the skimmer and it is buckled. I also see significant rust on the bottom edge of the wall in the adjoining segments. When the bottom edge rusts through the full thickness of the metal you cannot patch that and the pool will not be structurally sound. I doubt you can save this pool, however I would not drain it until you are able to attempt repairs. In the event that you can repair this pool you cannot leave it empty for long as water supplies the structural support for the walls. I would check on how long it would take to get a new liner and whether or not it can be returned before doing anything to the pool. You should be able to empty the pool completely using a shopvac.

My rust issues started out like yours looks in the first photo, and ended up with a softball size hole that rusted through the wall. My pool failed during Hurricane Harvey. The post mortum inspection showed a massive area of rust on the inside of the pool wall. You can click on the link in my signature to see the full story.

This pool looks really bad on the outside. On the inside, I can tell you it's much worse. Honestly, and I know it's not what you want to hear, you should look into replacing the whole pool and not just the liner.

We here at TFP are all for DIY and helping each other out. We're also here to help families be safe and this pool is looking like its seen better days. You're truly not going to know until you remove the liner. You may find that no one will want the liability of this repair.

Oh, wow. I was hoping y'all weren't going to tell me something like this, but kind of expected it. Any idea what could have caused this rust issue? I certainly don't want to replace the whole thing and have it happen again. The pool is only 8 years old.

You have a major leak that has been persistent from your skimmer box and the return. Water got behind the liner and could have spread behind the walls creating the rust which is like cancer. It will weaken the walls and end up splitting at its weakest point like a weak chain link. You can see that the bottom of the pool by the skimmer and return has considerable bubbling with is a weak spot. I'm not suggesting this but if one had a steel toed boot on n kicked it, the pool would split n the boot could penetrate the wall.

I'm sorry it's not what you want to hear but safety is very high on our priority list here. When you have 13k+ gallons of water let lose with people or animals around, it could be deadly, not to mention possible property damage that could occur.

Did you buy the pool new and register your purchase with the pool manufacturer? If you did you may be entitled to have the pool wall replaced under warranty. Most pool manufacturers have you pay shipping charges for parts replaced under warranty, so you still may be better off just replacing the pool. If you get another steel wall pool you may want to spray a coat or two of rust inhibitor on the inside wall before putting in the liner.

My steel walled pool would "sweat" on the outside. My guess is it was also sweating on the inside as when we went to replace the liner we found all kinds of rust under the liner. I spent a LOT of time and effort in sanding it down then spraying it with rust inhibitor paint. When it let go is was where the seam was. Our guess about happened is when the bolts were tightened it scraped the paint off the steel wall thus allowing that area to rust the fastest.

What I suggest is what @zea3 said------use paint to make sure there is NO steel exposed. You will notice the bottom of the wall paint might get scraped up some when you move it around. Also where the socket goes on the bolts and scraps the paint should be painted as well.

One of the reasons we decided on purchasing this pool, the Sharkline Matrix, was because of it's claim of being an all-resin pool.
Zea3, I have filed a warranty claim with the manufacturer, but have not received a response.
Thank you for all your helpful info. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm no lawyer but that is some sketchy marketing. It talks all about resin uprights, bottom rail, top rail, but nothing about the material of the pool walls. It also states salt water compatible! Apparently the stainless steel utility panel is optional. If your panel is stainless steel it is very low grade stainless. To test just get a refrigerator magnet and see if it sticks to the walls and utility panel. I hope you kept all your documentation from the purchase. You may have a fight on your hands.

• Angry
Reactions: kimkats
Reading through some of the warranties I could find it looks like anything after 7 yrs will cost u 80% of the msrp. If u had the 20 year warranty.
If the other components are in good shape (rails, uprights etc) a new wall may or may not be worth it. They make viewing their warranties hard as there are different types of warranties (silver,gold etc.) but they don’t tell which pools they include.
Here’s a 20yr one I found-

Reading through some of the warranties I could find it looks like anything after 7 yrs will cost u 80% of the msrp. If u had the 20 year warranty.
If the other components are in good shape (rails, uprights etc) a new wall may or may not be worth it. They make viewing their warranties hard as there are different types of warranties (silver,gold etc.) but they don’t tell which pools they include.
Here’s a 20yr one I found-

80% of msrp plus a 10% "Service and Handling" charge!

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
At that time there were no resin wall pools on the market so stating a pool was resin or hybrid automatically meant top rails & uprights & a coated steel or aluminum wall.Full resin in this case meant no steel plates or bottom rails either.
I am surprised though that there were no mentions of the wall material or touting of its special coatings & such as most do.
The matrix is a good pool with a good reputation but any steel walled pool is susceptible to rust when moisture is involved.
The only resin walled pool available that I’m aware of is the Aurora & it just came out in the last year or so.
I wouldn’t be surprised if multiple other manufacturers come out with resin walled models in the near future since I believe the Aurora has been selling like hot cakes.
It looks like there have been several leaks over time in your pool that have allowed rust to take over. Even if you have a resin walled pool unchecked/ un repaired leaks can undermine the pool’s structural foundation & lead to collapse.
Let us know how the warranty claim goes.

As I have been shopping for pools, I've noticed that a lot of manufacturers use "all resin" to mean everything but the wall. I wonder if this will change now that there are a few pools on the market that actually do have resin walls.

At that time there were no resin wall pools on the market so stating a pool was resin or hybrid automatically meant top rails & uprights & a coated steel or aluminum wall.Full resin in this case meant no steel plates or bottom rails either.
I am surprised though that there were no mentions of the wall material or touting of its special coatings & such as most do.
The matrix is a good pool with a good reputation but any steel walled pool is susceptible to rust when moisture is involved.
The only resin walled pool available that I’m aware of is the Aurora & it just came out in the last year or so.
I wouldn’t be surprised if multiple other manufacturers come out with resin walled models in the near future since I believe the Aurora has been selling like hot cakes.
It looks like there have been several leaks over time in your pool that have allowed rust to take over. Even if you have a resin walled pool unchecked/ un repaired leaks can undermine the pool’s structural foundation & lead to collapse.
Let us know how the warranty claim goes.

Radiant Metric are all resin (including walls) ABG as well.

Radiant Metric are all resin (including walls) ABG as well.
All their info I have ever found says acrylic coated aluminum with foam in the middle.
From the metric page 👇
“When it comes to pioneering innovation and superior structural integrity, it is what you don’t see that counts! Radiant Pools are engineered from technology originally developed for the NASA Space Program. Our 2-inch thick insulated wall panels are constructed of a closed-cell expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam core bonded between 2 sheets of durable acrylic-coated aluminum. All polystyrene used is treated with environmentally safe insecticides to prevent any insect infestation, guaranteed. Tested and proven for over 60 years! “

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.