Liner being installed has wrinkles

SteveTN

Aug 2, 2016
Lexington TN
I am in the process of having a new liner installed. They pumped the water out on Sunday and have been here every day since (this is Thursday). When they filled the pool to cut-in level the first time, there were significant wrinkles They pumped out to get the level down where they could work on it. Yesterday they spent 4-5 hours moving the liner around (mostly using duct tape to get a grip) and started refilling. This morning the wrinkles are better but still there (see pics).

My question is: What is acceptable on a new liner? Should I expect some wrinkles? My expectation was that it would be wrinkle free. Is that too high an expectation?

Second, I use a Polaris 280. It will climb the walls. How will it interact with the wrinkles?

Edit to add: How can these be fixed? (I prefer not to drain-fill-drain until they get it right. But if that's the only way...)

Thanks.
20230525_080257.jpg20230525_080353.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TKpoolOH
I accepted similar wrinkles in my pool.......but, I did a self install

A professional should be able to get it wrinkle free but I doubt there's any way but to drain the pool. I couldn't get the plunger method to work in as little as 8" of water.

That's too many wrinkles with a paid for professional install IMO. Even if you get the plunger method to work, I count 10 separate wrinkles; doubt they/you can get all of them. How many shop vacs/whatever were being used during the fill to keep the liner tight? I hate to say it, but you might have to live with those or drain the pool and start over. Otherwise, that's a lot of elbow grease with that much water. Plus, with 2' radius (?) corners, it shouldn't be that hard to install a liner.

FWIW, I just had an L shaped vinyl liner with 6" radius corners and liner over stair installed (Latham Bali/Blue Granite, looks like you have Indigo Marble/Blue Granite (y)). Due to some unfortunate timing of tripped breakers, rain, construction delays, etc. the liner floated 3x. After all was said and done, I have 1 wrinkle about a foot long but it's in the middle of the pool :cautious:. I'm learning to live with it. We used two shop vacs in the skimmers to seal the liner while it was being filled with water. They ran for almost 20 hours straight until my pool filled up enough. We installed it with 3 guys.

My question is: What is acceptable on a new liner? Should I expect some wrinkles? My expectation was that it would be wrinkle free. Is that too high an expectation?
Sometimes wrinkles happen, but you can definitely have a wrinkle free liner. I'd say that's the majority. Last 20x40 pool I had, 0 wrinkles when we installed the new liner.
Second, I use a Polaris 280. It will climb the walls. How will it interact with the wrinkles?
I have a Dolphin A20, the single 1' wrinkle I have does not affect it. The robot keeps the area around the winkle as clean as the rest of the pool and I have never noticed any debris trapped/leftover in the wrinkle.

I am in the process of having a new liner installed. They pumped the water out on Sunday and have been here every day since (this is Thursday). When they filled the pool to cut-in level the first time, there were significant wrinkles They pumped out to get the level down where they could work on it. Yesterday they spent 4-5 hours moving the liner around (mostly using duct tape to get a grip) and started refilling. This morning the wrinkles are better but still there (see pics).

Edit to add: How can these be fixed? (I prefer not to drain-fill-drain until they get it right. But if that's the only way...)

Thanks.
View attachment 496029View attachment 496030
Report: The installers worked into the wrinkles to our satisfaction. There are some minor ones but hardly noticeable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.