Likelyhood of my Hayward pool pump being the culprit for Iron in my pool?

SpykeYs

May 29, 2017
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hi,

I have been fighting heavy iron stains in my fiberglass pool for the last two years. My setup is fairly simple.

10000 gallons fiberglass pool
Hayward sand filter
Hayward 1 HP maxflow pump
Hayward SWG

My pool is filled with city water which doesn't contain iron. I even got it tested to make sure. Last year I removed 90% of my water and refilled and within a month I got iron stains to reappear...

What are the chances my pool pump is the culprit? Here are some pictures.

It is def rusting on the outside. Are there any metal parts on the inside ?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpeg
    IMG_2603.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2604.jpeg
    IMG_2604.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2605.jpeg
    IMG_2605.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2606.jpeg
    IMG_2606.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 3
I do not have iron piping in my system. Very simple system 1.5 inch vinyl hose everywhere.

I also have a 5 years old Hayward heat pump.

I have concrete around my pool. I assume there is a lot of iron in the concrete.... perhaps when it's raining a lot it's overflowing in the pool ?

I'm honestly out of idea. Last year it has been a disaster trying to fight it. I'm not sure what to do this year

It's not the concrete.

While you are trying to discover the source, I would suggest a sequestrant.

The iron is coming from somewhere. There are no "magic" pools wherein the iron has no source but just appears.

What is your current pH?

Can you post a picture of the stains? How did you remove the stains in the past?
I'm about to open my pool and unfortunately it is green at the moment. I am going to start SLAM today after I adjust PH and CYA. I wasn't able to find pictures from last year.

That being said, the stains was everywhere. The entire white fiberglass pool was covered by an "iron, dark orange tint". I was able to remove it by using absorbic acid which instantantly removed it. I then followed procedures to the letter by not raising FC too quickly and adding the purple stuff but the stains eventually came back. It has been happening for 2-3 years and i'm seriously running out of idea.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am committed to replace my pool pump if we want to try but the first poster mentionned the likelyhood to be very small.

It's not the concrete.

While you are trying to discover the source, I would suggest a sequestrant.

The iron is coming from somewhere. There are no "magic" pools wherein the iron has no source but just appears.

What is your current pH?
Just to clarify, my concrete is concrete print and has a lot of steel metal mesh in it..

I'm about to open my pool today. I'm currently adjusting PH and CYA before starting a SLAM. How about I bring my pool to clear water and I reply back here to continue our troubleshoot in a week or so. The fiberglass currently has that iron tint in it. Once my water is stabilized, I will need to start an acid ascorbic treatment to remove the stain.. But then, I don't know what to do to keep it from coming back.

Just to clarify, my concrete is concrete print and has a lot of steel metal mesh in it..

Regardless, it is not the concrete.

Rainwater and such flows AWAY from your pool, right?

I know you said your fill water has no iron but I suspect it does.

About your only choices are
1. Fill water
2. Corroding somewhere in your system including you heater