Silver Supporter
Apr 9, 2020
Gold Canyon AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I removed this light switch from my electric panel to determine if it was the reason my pool light quit. It turned out not to be the problem, but why was this complicated switch installed in the first place? I took a picture of the wiring before I replaced it with a new one. Should I be able to change light color with it? since I've narrowed it down to the light itself, should I buy a light-changing bulb?

Attachments

• IMG_7170.jpg
    IMG_7170.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 22
That is an X10 switch. X10 is a protocol for communication among electronic devices used for home automation. It uses power line wiring for signaling and control, where the signals involve brief radio frequency bursts representing digital information.

Someone at some point was trying to automate something using X10 controllers.

That is an X10 switch. X10 is a protocol for communication among electronic devices used for home automation. It uses power line wiring for signaling and control, where the signals involve brief radio frequency bursts representing digital information.

Someone at some point was trying to automate something using X10 controllers.
Thank you so much for your reply. So, if I wire it the same as the old one, even though there are probably superfluous wires involved, the light should work fine (?). It would be interesting to know what the person who set this up had in mind. They obviously abandoned the idea.

Please post a picture of the other side of the switch.

Most X10 switches have a normal switch, but are X10 "enabled," allowing X10 control.

It is likely there is no way to control the color of a light.

Describe the circuitry to the switch and the circuitry to the light from the X10 switch.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the "control" lug on this switch was to allow it to operate in conjunction with a normal switch to provide "3-way" operation in addition to X10 remote control. If that lug was wired, there may well be second switch somewhere.

Reactions: PoolStored
I took a picture of the wiring before I replaced it with a new one.

Show us those pics.

Should I be able to change light color with it?

The X-10 switch probably will not cycle on and off quick enough for color changing lights that are controlled by ON/OFF power pulses.

Reactions: proavia
That's an X-10 XPS3 (or XPS4) relay/switch. Pentair sold a version. It's sometimes specifically sold for pool lighting.

You can find them on eBay, Amazon, etc.

Here's the owner manual:

The "control" lugs are indeed for 3-way and 4-way switch control. If it was wired up, then somewhere else in your house or yard is the companion switch(es), so that you could turn the pool light on and off at the pad and somewhere else in the house.

Most X10 switches have a normal switch, but are X10 "enabled," allowing X10 control.

Describe the circuitry to the switch and the circuitry to the light from the X10 switch.

Here's the front side. it just looks like an ordinary wall switch but doesn't click to the off position. It's just a click for on and another click for off. It's brand new so I'm sure that's the way it's supposed to be. I think I've got it narrowed down to the bulb itself. I'll just pull it out and see what I've got.
(This isn't the new one obviously, but the one I replaced)
IMG_7172.jpg

Last edited:
That's an X-10 XPS3 (or XPS4) relay/switch. Pentair sold a version. It's sometimes specifically sold for pool lighting.

You can find them on eBay, Amazon, etc.

Here's the owner manual:

The "control" lugs are indeed for 3-way and 4-way switch control. If it was wired up, then somewhere else in your house or yard is the companion switch, so that you could turn the pool light on and off at the pad and somewhere else in the house.
I've not found another switch that might serve that function, but it's an intriguing idea. I'll look further. Thank you.

X-10 was pretty funky even when it was "all the rage." It is the granddaddy of home automation. It runs signals through your home's Romex wiring, which is really convenient for installation, but can be pretty spotty, because those signals get interfered with by other things in your house (appliances and power supplies and fluorescents and if your cat sneezes). X-10 existed before WiFi did. If you want to be able to control your pool light at the pad and elsewhere in your home and from your smart phone or computer, there are much better solutions these days, many with voice control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've not found another switch that might serve that function, but it's an intriguing idea. I'll look further. Thank you.
It may have been abandoned at some point. The control wire may be hiding, unused, behind some other switch that now controls something else unrelated. Who knows.

It may have been abandoned at some point. The control wire may be hiding, unused, behind some other switch that now controls something else unrelated. Who knows.
Yes, that's probably the case. Thank you. I'll probably just get an electrician to re-wire the whole thing into a smaller box. I still have the abandoned dial style timer in there!

Reactions: Dirk
Yes, that's probably the case. Thank you. I'll probably just get an electrician to re-wire the whole thing into a smaller box. I still have the abandoned dial style timer in there!
A pool light should be wired, somewhere along the line, to a GFCI device. Be sure any electrician you hire specializes in pool electrical wiring. You might call local pool builders for a referral to a qualified, licensed electrician. Don't make the mistake that I did by allowing a pool maintenance company's "handyman" to wire up your pool. I had to correct several things he neglected to do, some of which were critical to the safety of my pool wiring.

A pool light should be wired, somewhere along the line, to a GFCI device. Be sure any electrician you hire specializes in pool electrical wiring. You might call local pool builders for a referral to a qualified, licensed electrician. Don't make the mistake that I did by allowing a pool maintenance company's "handyman" to wire up your pool. I had to correct several things he neglected to do, some of which were critical to the safety of my pool wiring.
Ha! OK thanks. It could be a little like someone throwing a toaster in the pool:eek:.

Reactions: Dirk
Ha! OK thanks. It could be a little like someone throwing a toaster in the pool:eek:.
It's funny but it's not. Miswired, and/or DIY pool light wiring have caused deaths. It's not something to trifle with.

One of pool wiring's most renowned experts has a forum with all things pool electerical if you want to study up or ask a question.

I seem to remember watching one of his videos once where he claims he would never install a light in his pool. That should tell you something.

If I ever swap mine out, I'll get a low voltage light next time.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.