Light niche sealing ring (niche block off plate)

Hootz

Bronze Supporter
Feb 5, 2018
Rogers, AR
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Has anyone successfully replaced a light niche sealing ring without replacing the liner? My liner was replaced this spring due to liner failure last year. Since the liner was replaced the loss of water has been greater than an inch per day. I hired a leak detection company and they found a crack in the light niche. Replacing the niche would be a never ending money pit; matching the deck and coping and other endless issues that would come up. The crack is not at the rear near the conduit it is at the front just behind the flange of the niche; cracked about 1/3 of the way around. I tried epoxy and it slowed down the leak about half. Our weather is such here that I winterize and can’t risk losing substantial water or the result is a floating liner and possible damage. For now I want to just block off the light niche and have ordered a disc and gasket for this purpose. What is the least risk? No drain? Drain below the light and replace? Either way has risk and would like to hear of other’s experiences. I have found some similar posts here but no follow up on results

I have completed this work and giving a follow up on how I did it. I lowered the water a few inches so my face wasn't in the water when accessing the lower screws of the sealing ring. The sealing ring was successfully removed while fully under water and the liner did not move. I installed the block off plate and gasket in place of the sealing ring.
Here is where I purchased the plate:

Photo of plate installed:

20220816_123635.jpg

Reactions: lhersh123
I have completed this work and giving a follow up on how I did it. I lowered the water a few inches so my face wasn't in the water when accessing the lower screws of the sealing ring. The sealing ring was successfully removed while fully under water and the liner did not move. I installed the block off plate and gasket in place of the sealing ring.
Here is where I purchased the plate:

Photo of plate installed:
I'm currently having the same (or very similar) issue. I just ordered a 10 hole light doctor disc. Did this remedy your particular leaking issue? Can I ask what gasket you used? I haven't received the parts yet but I ordered the SG400 gasket. Curious if this is what you used, successfully (?) as well? Thank you in advance.