Leveling the ground.

adriannamccabe

Jun 15, 2023
Texas
My husband and I recently put together and filled an 18 foot above ground Intex pool. Our ground seemed pretty level. We cleared it of rocks and debris. Put down the liner and built the pool. After filling it, it was really apparent how not level the ground was. So we drained it.

We live in a super rocky part of Texas, so digging out a bit of one side to help level isn’t really an option. So the next best thing seemed to be adding some soil to the opposite side and then we plan to cover the whole area in sand.

My husband is just feeling frustrated and like we should just give it up. I think we can do this. Any tips regarding leveling in this situation?

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It is always ideal to cut out (dig down) to level as opposed to adding soil as the new soil added will most likely shift or settle. The only way you might get away with adding soil is if you have a way to contain it around the perimeter and renting a plate compactor to really press that soil down over & over. No doubt leveling can be challenging in some areas but is extremely important.

full

Reactions: bobcook
Thanks for responding.

We have giant rocks all over like 15 FT wide and who knows how deep. My husband is very against digging because he knows what we will find. We tried gardening this year and had to go with raised beds because we couldn’t dig deep enough to plant anything. We are definitely in over our heads here it seems.

Yikes. I have the opposite in my area as I'm in the black gumbo clay belt which is frustrating on a whole different level. Not much you can do with those rocks and boulders. Maybe post a pic or two of the area you plan on setting up the pool? Might help give us a better perspective. Elevating the area may be your only option, but let's see what you have to work with.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It is always ideal to cut out (dig down) to level as opposed to adding soil as the new soil added will most likely shift or settle. The only way you might get away with adding soil is if you have a way to contain it around the perimeter and renting a plate compactor to really press that soil down over & over. No doubt leveling can be challenging in some areas but is extremely important.

full
Is this the top rail and T connectors? What ingenious way to plot out for pavers and to level the pool. Hats off to you for a great idea.👍

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.