Lets hear your pool critter stories.

Arose this morning looking forward to a swim and found a dead rabbit at the bottom of pool. Scooped him/her out and gave it a proper burial. I assume the chlorine will take care of any problems but I added an extra 40 ounces of bleach just to make sure. Should I shock the pool? Any way to prevent this type of event?

Thanks,

Gary R.

LAUGHING HILARIOUSLY!!!! I was reading the bullfrog story.....lmao...and the other one about the ducks and the guy running outside like a madman to chase them away...omg..still laughing. I only have bugs so far..and lots of bird poop...still laughing...

I've had above ground pools for at least 8 years with the usual flying insects. This is my first year with a SWG and I get huge islands of harlequin bugs all floating together, which has never happened before. I ended up on this topic while searching to see if anyone else had the same problem. After reading what everyone else has found, I think I will stopped being so grossed out by them and just be thankful that's all I get.

We've had our pool since May and found our first casualty 2 days ago. I took the solar cover off to get ready for the day, and found a dead skunk floating by the side. We used the pool last on Saturday evening and covered it around 9 PM. We didn't use it on Sunday due to bad weather. Then found our floater on Monday morning.

I tripled the normal shock and we let it sit for 2 days. Once the chlorine levels come down, I will follow with Pool First Aid, just to be sure.

it was a fine find for our first year of being pool owners.

Rono007 said:
I tripled the normal shock and we let it sit for 2 days. Once the chlorine levels come down, I will follow with Pool First Aid, just to be sure.

What exactly does that mean "tripled the normal shock"? And what is Pool First Aid, certainly not actually needed.

Raising to triple the shock FC level for your CYA level is a BAD idea as damage to your pool and equipment is likely, if that is what you meant.

Or did you add 3 times the amount of "shock" powder that you normally do? If that is the case, that is not how we use the term "shock" here and not how most of us maintain our pools. If you maintain the correct FC levels, there is not a need to do a regular "normal shock". If the pool does develop a problem, we recommend the shock process described in pool school.

Just wanted to be clear to anyone reading this thread.

Geez. I feel like I just got spanked.

I'm obviously a newbie, and yes, I tripled the amount of shock powder that would normally be used. This was at the direction of the pool company whom I called after I found the dead, bloated skunk. Their reasoning was to kill off anything the animal might have been carrying since it seemed to be "oozing". It was pretty disgusting.

Pool First Aid is a name brand product that " cleans and removes organic build-up". Again, they recommended this since we didn't know what this guy might have left in the pool.

I apologize for using the terms out of context or for not maintaining my pool the way you maintain your pools here. I am obviously here to learn. Thanks.

Rono007 said:
Their reasoning was to kill off anything the animal might have been carrying since it seemed to be "oozing". It was pretty disgusting.
That does sound disgusting :puker:

Rono007 said:
Pool First Aid is a name brand product that " cleans and removes organic build-up". Again, they recommended this since we didn't know what this guy might have left in the pool.
Chlorine is the best sanitizer for this kind of problem. I think "Pool First Aid" is better at removing your money then sanitizing skunk ooz :wink:

Rono007 said:
I am obviously here to learn.
We all do :) A good place to start would be the shocking process, which is what I would do in your situation. You may find that after you start that, you pass the criteria quickly, and you can know that you do not have an issue anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, this is kind of a "pool critter story turned around." My DH and I were sitting by the pool the other night when we spotted a frog at the bottom of the pool, jumping around. Neither of us were in our bathing suits, and we really didn't want the frog to drown. Our pool is screened with a stand of arborvitae, except for one side. The neighbors on one side of us can see everything if they want. However, it was dark, and I decided to strip down (I was already in my pj's - yes, sitting by the pool in my pj's), and jump in to save the frog. Turns out the "frog" was just a frog-shaped leaf, and I got nekkid and skinny dipped for no good reason. Well, I guess there doesn't have to be a good reason to skinny dip, but I'm sure glad the neighbors didn't see (at least we think so). :laughblue:

Kelley

We have had snakes, mice, moles, chipmunks, (only part of a chipmunk when opening a coupole times) frogs. dead and alive, Horse flys and bees are terrible one morning about 9:30 I counted 67 dead horseflys in the skimmer and it was cleaned the night before.

The absolute worst ever. I was just floating around on the raft and then stuck my head in the house to ask if anyone was coming out. When I turned around to get back in there was a
Huge Racoon swimming around.. I walked over to it and the back of its head and neck was filled with MAGGOTS... they were falling off all over the pool
My husband fished it out and shot it in the head... I was so grossed out I had to come into the house. I look out the kitchen window and see him standing in the back yard with this maggot infested dead coon on a shovel.. and he was bent over pucking his guts out....That was almost as gross as the coon. I still tease him about it... But I wouldnt have removed it... Yuck.

Nina Li said:
Rono007...I think you DID get spanked...yeooouch! I'm new at this pool thing too..still learning the do's and the don'ts by reading all the good info here..thank you all!

Hey .... I made nice in a PM ;)

Part of that message which is good to repeat:
When we see things that we don't agree with or don't really match what we teach, we like to point it out so no newer members in the future take it as truth. Ideally, as I hope happened in this case, it will raise a dialog and become a teaching moment and help us help you learn about a possible better way of maintaining your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.