LED Bulb Install

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi. We have a standard light in our FG pool (Amerlite, I believe) and we’d like to change it out to an LED that can change colors on a pattern as well as continuous solid color of choice (via a remote). What do I need to know to do this? Is this a DIY kind of change or do I need a professional? Thanks!

I changed my bulb last week . I went with a white LED bulb off amazon for $60 . My light fixture was new because my pool was just finished. If yours has the brass screw holding it in the housing all you should need is the bulb of choice and a new gasket. Not much to it.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Been doing some reading online and watched some videos. It does look easy to change out the bulb. We're just looking to be able to have a few color variations that we can select and possibly a couple patterns that change. Nothing too fancy. I found J&J ColorSplash LXGW, but it's about $200. for the bulb. Does anyone know of cheaper options that will give us what we are looking for? Also, how do I figure out of our light niche is 12v or 120v? Thanks!

Thanks. Been looking online at amazon and other places. Trying to keep the cost reasonable but also don’t want a piece of junk. The reviews are all over the map, and want to make sure it’s bright enough, won’t die, and that changing colors & patterns is easy. Wondering if getting something like the J&J LXG is worth the extra money for peace of mind?

I can’t answer that all I can say is mine for $50 was well worth the risk considering the cost of what some of these stores want. Local pool store had a color bulb on the shelf last weekend for $369 and the exact same one was on amazon for $94. That’s up to you.

The picture below is mine. It’s very bright and I have a LED super bright yard light that the city installed in my back yard that is putting off a ton of light around it. If I could turn that yard light off it really would be bright.

879f457fc37b57619d96b3d7a75d3c3a.jpg

I went with Bulbwizards. Not cheap, but very good customer service and they seem to be well made. I have two in my pool and one in the spa and they're working well going on season 2. They don't have a remote, but you can select colors by power cycling them. That's pretty typical for color LEDs in pools. Look for a fairly large transformer wired between the switch and the light. If you have that, then you have a 12 volt light.

Have the J & J LXG pool and spa bulbs, also the J & J controller and phone app. Install is easy, as our light switch did not have a common wire, had to run one from the GFI to the switch box in order to use the J & J controller or one can just use the regular switch. With the exception of the LED Red the other colors give us enough light (not as much as the regular 500W pool and 100W SPA) but plenty for us. A bit pricey for two bulbs and a controller, just hope they will last the stated lifespan.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I don’t see a transformer, but here is what our electrical connection for the light looks like at the equipment pad.

Attachments

• DD4B5278-31EB-4BB6-AAFE-172E3F4FA97C.jpg
    DD4B5278-31EB-4BB6-AAFE-172E3F4FA97C.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 82

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.