Leave the steps in for the winter?

May 2, 2017
Nassau NY
First winter shutdown for me and I wanted to know if I can leave the stairs in over the winter. They are the blue torrent cayman entry system and the stairs are god awful heavy. I'd need to get in the 60* water and lift them up to a helper on the outside to get them out. They are full of water and a bunch of sand to keep them from floating. I'm thinking I can disconnect the entry ladder and leave the steps in the pool? Is there any harm to this?

I remove our steps. It takes 3-4 strong guys to lift it out, but they can do it without getting into the pool. I figure if I take them out, it is just one more thing I don't have to worry about. The water in pool gets a pretty thick layer of ice.

I left mine in last year. (Central Pennsylvania) I just made sure to pour some chlorine around them and swish it with my brush quite often in the spring, when I opened the pool. I also take the end of the vacuum off the hose and sweep under and behind them regularly throughout the summer.

If your pool is likely to freeze solid then you will need to put something in with the steps, such as a pool pillow to absorb the crush force of the ice. I don't know how much pressure the stairs can take before they deform or break. You could try contacting the manufacturer and ask them if it is safe to let them freeze in a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.