Least expensive means of controlling Intellichlor?

Hayward Aquarite and Pentair IntelliChlor use exactly the same protocol. While other Hayward equipment, including pumps operate at a different port speed the Aquarite communicates at 9600 baud like the IntelliChlor. As far as I know this is the only Hayward branded equipment that does this and must be operated on a separate bus from Hayward pumps.

Hayward Aquarite and Pentair IntelliChlor use exactly the same protocol. While other Hayward equipment, including pumps operate at a different port speed the Aquarite communicates at 9600 baud like the IntelliChlor. As far as I know this is the only Hayward branded equipment that does this and must be operated on a separate bus from Hayward pumps.
That's what I remembered from my research on njsPC and interfacing it to an Aquarite. Based on that, I expected the Hayward and Pentair products to work in a similar fashion, but seems like that's not true.

But it does make a pi and a rs-485 interface the cheapest way to control your intellichlor. Need a couple power supplies too, but they don't cost much.

Thanks to everyone. From all the threads I read I gathered that it had to be connected to a commercial automation system. I didn't see any threads about connecting directly to a pump and SWG. Has anyone done it that way?

I didn't see any threads about connecting directly to a pump and SWG. Has anyone done it that way?

It can be done, see this issue on the GitHub repo. For a wireless option you can get an Elfin EW11 (with external antenna) and house it in the IntelliChlor power center. It will connect directly to the RS-485 terminal and draw it's power from that. Then use a Raspberry Pi (or Orange Pi) externally and run njsPC for control.

icpc.PNG

P.S. I would double check to see if there is 15 VDC on the terminal block as it might not actually be getting power from the PCB.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.