Learning to do this on my own

Since 6:57 am today I have lost 5 FC is that a normal daily amount? I was at 21.5 this morning and 16.5 currently.
Chlorine burns off as a %, which is faster at higher levels. It starts to really become noticeable in the 20s. 5 during the day, starting in the 20s, is entirely possible.

Tonight's test will tell us more. I always vote to extend SLAM another day when there is any shred of a question. Maintaining now is relatively easy, and starting over in a couple weeks is not.

Fc last night 17.5
Fc this morning 17.5
Cc 0.5
Water looks clear

I have tried to clean out my steps soaked them in bleach and we are going to drill mor holes in them.

Terrified of stopping the slam and It accidentally being too early and terrified of returning my steps to my nice clear water and I missed something in them.

Fc last night 17.5
Fc this morning 17.5
Cc 0.5
Water looks clear
TFP clear ? Stupid clear ? Holy CRUD where did my water GO clear ? I have to ask as we often redefine newbs definition of 'clear' once they balance the pool to TFP spec.

If so, congrats. :)

You are welcome to hold slam for an extra day or two, it's always easy at this point and a little insurance never hurt anyone.

Clean the steps the best you can, and then swish them around in the pool real good before putting them back.

Reactions: Jfill6
FC 2.5
Ph 7.5
TA 120
Ch 100
Cya 30

I think I am looking good. Do I just add a little liquid chlorine when the fc starts to dip? Check fc and ph each day as a reference? Run the filter about 8 hrs each day? I do not want to get algae in those steps again. Trying to keep this clean. First season with no pool store help.

I think I am looking good.
Get that FC up and keep it up at the top of the range for your CYA. Your pool uses FC every day. You need a buffer for that usage.

In summer, with sun and swimmers, I can lose 5.5ppm / day. Most people will lose 3-4/day. At 2.5, you can get to Zero quick, especially with CYA of 30.

Always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

In addition to the advice above, keep in mind that your FC loss each day is going to keep increasing as we move toward summer. This is the time of year that you'd much rather be on the high side than the low side with FC.

When I was starting to figure my pool out, I checked the FC every night after sunset for awhile to get a feel for how much FC it needed, then I added liquid chlorine to bring FC to at least the top of the target range. You likely will need to add daily, you might be able to get through 2 days without adding, but no more than that this time of year.

So even though it is in range on my pool math. I bump it up to the target. I’m learning. Thanks
Yes, YOUR minimum for CYA of 30 is 2FC, target is 4-6FC. Keep it at 6 or 7 until you learn how much your pool consumes in a day. I can have up to 5.5ppm usage in a day with sun/swimmers. My min is 3 with target of 5-10. I keep it at 9-10.

9 - 5.5 = 3.5...keeps me above minimum. Minimum is LAVA!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning I saw a boatman. I had not seen them during my slam or after my slam. Doesn’t this mean I have algae? I have kept my fc up. I have been putting chlorine in my holes in my steps trying to keep stuff out of there.

This morning I saw a boatman. I had not seen them during my slam or after my slam. Doesn’t this mean I have algae? I have kept my fc up. I have been putting chlorine in my holes in my steps trying to keep stuff out of there.
Maybe, maybe not. Boatmen are not the same as your test kit. Your last two entries in your logs show FC = 2 and 2.5. This right near minimum. My pool will cloud if I hit minimum for a day. Get that FC up so that you never test lower than 4, which is bottom of the range for your CYA. FC/CYA Levels

If you are concerned, do another OCLT.

So I vacuumed and there was algae apparently. (See photo) there is also larvae that I sucked up (see photo) I guess I need to slam again? I hope it is not my steps causing this. I scrubbed and bleached them. I have put chlorine in all my holes.

Attachments

• B19D2199-D0EC-4DCB-8050-6DB38DB8D193.jpeg
    B19D2199-D0EC-4DCB-8050-6DB38DB8D193.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 6520E7A6-C0CA-47C4-BEA2-D06EF82C4977.jpeg
    6520E7A6-C0CA-47C4-BEA2-D06EF82C4977.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 6
Not sure that is algae. Best way to tell if you have algae is an OCLT.

If you are not able to get INSIDE the steps and scrub, yes it can harbor algae. Can you get inside the steps and tubes to the steps to scrub...? Can you post a pic of the steps? And, yes, they are one of the worst offenders...ask me how I know.

May need a brush like this:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Not sure that is algae. Best way to tell if you have algae is an OCLT.

If you are not able to get INSIDE the steps and scrub, yes it can harbor algae. Can you get inside the steps and tubes to the steps to scrub...? Can you post a pic of the steps? And, yes, they are one of the worst offenders...ask me how I know.

May need a brush like this:
These are my steps. I will do a OCLT tonight. Thanks for you help. Do you know what these work like things might be? They had to be on the bottom because I vacuumed them up.

Attachments

• 438A29D5-3037-4C0E-94FA-D7301338BBEB.jpeg
    438A29D5-3037-4C0E-94FA-D7301338BBEB.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 4
I believe that the ladder has algae inside. Until you can break those steps down and scrub inside, you will be continually fighting algae. @Mdragger88 do you agree?

A gastropod without a shell is known as a slug. Those are slugs.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I believe that the ladder has algae inside. Until you can break those steps down and scrub inside, you will be continually fighting algae. @Mdragger88 do you agree?

A gastropod without a shell is known as a slug. Those are slugs.
I did take them apart and scrub. And soaked in chlorine. Might need to look into a different type of ladder

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.