Leaky pump lid

Jun 16, 2013
I know this is a common problem, but I want to make sure I have done all the steps correctly. This forum and site have helped me so much since becoming a pool owner!

I have an above-ground pool with an older (10+ yrs?) Hayward pump/filter combo, which I have been running for six years now. The pump lid is leaking but this year I cannot seem to fix the problem.

I replaced the O-ring this year (it typically needs a new one each spring), lubed it up with silicone, and lubed up the lid as well once the O-ring was in its proper channel, and I wiped down the inside of the pump basket. As I filled the pool, and before turning anything on, I saw that water was leaking from the lid. So, I took everything apart, re-lubed it, and reseated the lid. Still leaking. My dad advised using petroleum jelly instead of the plumber's lube, so I tried that. Still leaking. Tried using 2 O-rings, couldn't close the lid. Put the old O-ring back on (in case the new one wasn't sized correctly). Still leaking.

I stored the lid in the garage this year, so maybe the pump basket warped during the winter?

I don't see any cracks in the lid, nor in the pump basket. It seems to me that there must be some other problem between the lid and the basket, but how do I diagnose the problem? And, how can I fix it? Should I just order a new lid?

Here is a picture of the pump lid, showing the water seeping through; it mostly seems to be at the front, but in fact the water is coming through both at the front and back of the lid:

IMG_0350.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.