Leaking valve - how best to replace it?

nicktf

Aug 9, 2022
Houston, TX
New owner here. I replaced my single speed pump last week, but have been plagued by air bubbles in the pump basket which eventually build up into about 2 inches of air in there. This is mitigated when the pump runs at full speed, so I never noticed it when the old pump was in place. Slathering shaving foam everywhere revealed nothing, so I ultimately went out really early and listened hard. After removing a valve actuator, I could finally hear a slow hissing from the shank area.

That's great, but I don't have a lot of pipe to play with here, so how do I go about replacing this valve? I'm assuming there's no saving it - it appeared to be a sealed unit.

Attachments

• PXL_20220817_130344924.jpg
    PXL_20220817_130344924.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220811_153040293.jpg
    PXL_20220811_153040293.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220815_215511606.jpg
    PXL_20220815_215511606.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks! That's the perils of getting up early and doing pool stuff before caffeine. I looked at it and it appeared to be a sealed unit, but on closer inspection, I can see that there's a lid to pry open. No part numbers to speak of, but the PAT. number is linked to Jandy, so I think it's just a standard Jandy Neverlube. I'll start with new, greased O-rings and see how I get on from there.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's the perils of getting up early and doing pool stuff before caffeine. I looked at it and it appeared to be a sealed unit, but on closer inspection, I can see that there's a lid to pry open. No part numbers to speak of, but the PAT. number is linked to Jandy, so I think it's just a standard Jandy Neverlube. I'll start with new, grease O-rings and see how I get on from there.
Standard Jandy valve. Open it, be sure to remove the stem O rings and clean the area both in the lid and on the stem. Put lube on the stem and replace the O rings, put lube on the O rings and put the assembly back into the cap. Carefully remove the lid O ring, clean and do the same thing. Do not use a power screwdriver to reinstall the screws. If there is a pool store nearby, it would be good to get new O rings, they sometimes sell them as a kit. It doesn't matter what brand of valve they may have a kit for, they all use the same O rings.
Safest way to do this, if the system is older, is to purchase a new Jandy valve and just replace the lid and diverter assembly in the old body. As long as the body has no cracks it will be good.

Reactions: nicktf
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.