Leaking Skimmer Basket

Hawkins109

Jun 13, 2023
Northern WV
A little backstory real quick, I purchased my home which came with an above ground pool. This is my second year with the pool, but the pool was put up in 2018. Not sure if it matters or not, but a Hayward kit was used for the skimmer, pump, filter, etc..

This year I’ve noticed a leak which conveniently seemed to occur after I completed the SLAM process and got clear blue water. It started as a slow drip every maybe 45-60 seconds. Now it’s a pretty steady drip every 5-10 seconds. Not wanting to drain any water, I held out hoping it wouldn’t get worse but I fear it’s just going to continue on the downhill slope. I’m attaching a picture I found online, but the leak is coming from the “B location” in the picture.

Would this be due to the gasket between the pool wall/skimmer or is there a gasket in between where it looks like those are two separate pieces to the skimmer itself? Also do I have to drain, fix, then refill or is this something I can get some marine grade sealant to hold me through the rest of pool season?

Attachments

• EC33A03D-8CF3-4995-9283-F1DC385BE40D.png
    EC33A03D-8CF3-4995-9283-F1DC385BE40D.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 10
There is a gasket at B.

If that’s the wide mouth Hayward, it’s part # 6 on the page below.

You’d need to drain the water to below the skimmer, but then you should be able to replace and refill.

There is a gasket at B.

If that’s the wide mouth Hayward, it’s part # 6 on the page below.

You’d need to drain the water to below the skimmer, but then you should be able to replace and refill.
It is the wide mouth version. I’m actually much more relieved that there is a gasket there. Thank you so much for this, I looked forever on google to try to find that. To replace that gasket I shouldn’t have to mess with anything on the pool wall or the liner, correct?

It is the wide mouth version. I’m actually much more relieved that there is a gasket there. Thank you so much for this, I looked forever on google to try to find that. To replace that gasket I shouldn’t have to mess with anything on the pool wall or the liner, correct?
Correct. If you look at the skimmer from inside the pool, you’ll see two rectangles of screws.

One on the outside, which attaches the part inside the pool to the part outside. Don’t touch those.

Then there’s another rectangle of screws toward the inside. Those attach the two sections of the skimmer together, and are what you’ll remove to get to that gasket.

Alright semi bad news. I have to correct myself. Ironically I have a new in box skimmer and I just looked at it. There are 4 additional screws connecting the two pieces, which you have to remove the front faceplate and outer gasket to get to. It doesn’t look like there’s any way to replace the outside piece without taking the front off, and at that point you’d want to replace that gasket too.
image.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.