Midwest
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool installed last season, very slow leak on filter cap. Tightened it as much as possible w/o breaking anything and still leaked. Opened this season, leaking worse. Removed the cap and noticed there wasn't anything left for gasket material. Pool contractor sent me a new cap w/ gasket and I installed that, still leaking. I can try to tighten it down some more, but I'm starting to wonder if there's an issue with the male end coming off the filter, as in maybe it has a defect in the molding from factory? Any ideas on potential solutions? Should I try additional gasket material to fill any voids? My Wife is on me about getting this fixed!

Thanks!

Walt

Attachments

• Filter.JPG
    Filter.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 6
Just some far fetched ideas.
Sand or file the male end smooth.
Silicone gasket lube.
3 wraps of Teflon tape on the male threads.
Those are great ideas, I'm going to start with the first one! Far fetched would be to somehow re-route the water back to the pool so it wasn't being wasted :unsure:

Thank you very much!

Get a brass or PVC fitting for a better grip.

1682362520832.png

Maybe get a brass threaded coupling to screw onto the threads to protect the thread.

I think that a NPT or NPSM thread should work.

Get a 1" pvc threaded fitting to try on for size and then get the brass fitting once you know the size.

Don't damage the threads.

Just screw it on until snug, but not tight.

Below says that it is a 1" fitting with 11.5 threads per inch, which is standard NPT.

NPT – American National Standard Pipe Tapered thread.

This type creates a pressure-tight seal, which occurs when the male and female NPT threads compress and tighten.

NPSM – American National Standard Pipe Straight Mechanical Joint thread.

This type creates a non-pressure tight connection in applications that are not subject to internal pressures.

Both NPT and NPSM connectors have the same number of threads per inch, and the angle of each thread is 60 degrees.

The obvious difference between NPT and NPSM, as their names indicate, is that the former is tapered (slightly conical) while the latter is straight (parallel).

Maybe something like this?

SharkBite 1-in PEX x 1-in NPSM Brass Female Swivel Adapter

View attachment 458016
View attachment 458019
If you use just the brass threaded part, that should protect the threads.

View attachment 458036

Reactions: Walt Salt
Get a brass or PVC fitting for a better grip.

View attachment 485687
Okay, thank you! I'll take a look at this option as well. The filter I have is not the one pictured, the threads are very course with probably 1/8" in between them and 1/8" deep. That may be part of the issue too is that if the seal isn't perfect, there aren't enough threads to prevent the water from making it's way through?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just some far fetched ideas.
Sand or file the male end smooth.
Silicone gasket lube.
3 wraps of Teflon tape on the male threads.
I wanted to provide an update. I filed down the Male end and snugged the cap back on and no leaks so far! Thanks for the help, Wife is happy!

Walt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.