South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I’ve been working on a leak for about a week. It seems slow. About 2 inches a day. It just went lower than the skimmer so im Guessing the light niche. It was replaced about a year or so ago. Perhaps the epoxy gave way a bit?

I noticed that the new light doesn’t fit perfectly so there may be more movement then normal. I tried to use some food coloring but I didn’t notice any suction. I assume it could be a small leak.

I also can’t figure out where the water is going. No wet/sunken areas.

I plan to add more epoxy in a bit and mark the level again. I’ve had the pump off this whole time so I’ll need to SLAM once it’s said and done. I’ll also have to find a better way to seal the light housing. Is there an adapter or something for this type of thing?

If it’s not the light. I’ll be at a loss.

Advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I’ll also have to find a better way to seal the light housing. Is there an adapter or something for this type of thing?
That depends on where in the niche it may be leaking (if at all). Often times it's the back of the niche "shell" near the conduit opening when the conduit line moves with the soil. In those cases, you can use some epoxy. In some situations it could be the conduit line itself. If it is the conduit line, you can try a light cable plug or butyl tape. Don't use epoxy in the conduit or you'll never be able to pull wire later if needed.

I’ve been working on a leak for about a week. It seems slow. About 2 inches a day. It just went lower than the skimmer so im Guessing the light niche. It was replaced about a year or so ago. Perhaps the epoxy gave way a bit?

I noticed that the new light doesn’t fit perfectly so there may be more movement then normal. I tried to use some food coloring but I didn’t notice any suction. I assume it could be a small leak.

I also can’t figure out where the water is going. No wet/sunken areas.

I plan to add more epoxy in a bit and mark the level again. I’ve had the pump off this whole time so I’ll need to SLAM once it’s said and done. I’ll also have to find a better way to seal the light housing. Is there an adapter or something for this type of thing?

If it’s not the light. I’ll be at a loss.

Advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Two inches/day on a pool that size is not a small leak. Have you done a bucket test to see when it is leaking? Does it leak more with the pump on or off?

Two inches/day on a pool that size is not a small leak. Have you done a bucket test to see when it is leaking? Does it leak more with the pump on or off?
No. I’ve had the pump off for a while now. And measure in the evening and morning. It seems fairly consistent at both times. I used that to rule out evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.