Leak in Main Drain in fiberglass pool

Nadiyka9870

May 24, 2023
Spartanburg SC
Hello everyone, 1st time pool owners and need some help. We have been getting sand and dirt into our pool through the filter. Did some troubleshooting and turns out a very small leak in the main drain. 1-2 ft from where the light is inside the pool. The main drain is currently shut off and we stopped getting the dirt in the pool. I need to know if I can just keep the main drain closed and filter pool though skimmer and though inground spill over spa. Or it’s very important to fix that leak. I’m not loosing any water. Anyone had an issue with main drain before?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So two things here:
1 - Yes, you can keep the MD closed. Pools don't really need one. I don't have one. Using the skimmer along is just fine.

2 -Let's confirm what you are describing about dirt getting into the pool. Your MD area may have a hydrostatic valve installed. If that HSV is failing and/or the water table is pushing up against the bottom of the shell, then it's conceivable some dirt could get pushed up into MD box and/or the deep end of the pool. If dirty water from under the pool makes it into the MD area via a bad HSV, it could potentially get sucked up into the suction line back to the filter. Is that what you ae saying is happening?

We want to ensure the dirty water coming back to the filter isn't a result of some other water chemistry issue.

Also see our Pool Care Basics page for great info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.