Leak in copper suction line

Pizza

Silver Supporter
May 2, 2017
Burbank, CA
Hi everyone
I need some advice.
Seems pretty clear the line is leaking badly. Haven’t done a pressure test yet but covering the inlet in skimmer with my hand and/or connecting cleaner/robot causes immediate and significant pressure loss and theirs lots of air bubbles coming back into the pool. Running pump for even a short cycle causes significant water loss.

Received two quotes so far for changing skimmer and line; $3,000 and $3,800. Both say that includes breaking concrete and and new concrete.

Fortunately the skimmer is about 7’ away from my equipment.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9008.jpeg
    IMG_9008.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9011.jpeg
    IMG_9011.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9016.jpeg
    IMG_9016.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9015.jpeg
    IMG_9015.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9010.jpeg
    IMG_9010.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9014.jpeg
    IMG_9014.jpeg
    702.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9012.jpeg
    IMG_9012.jpeg
    618.2 KB · Views: 13
Hi everyone
I need some advice.
Seems pretty clear the line is leaking badly. Haven’t done a pressure test yet but covering the inlet in skimmer with my hand and/or connecting cleaner/robot causes immediate and significant pressure loss and theirs lots of air bubbles coming back into the pool. Running pump for even a short cycle causes significant water loss.

Received two quotes so far for changing skimmer and line; $3,000 and $3,800. Both say that includes breaking concrete and and new concrete.

Fortunately the skimmer is about 7’ away from my equipment.

Thoughts?
If the leak is worse with the pump running, it is in the return line as well. Most leak detection/repair companies won't even start a repair on copper plumbing unless it is all replaced. All the copper is subject to the same water conditions.
They'll guarantee the leak is fixed, it will start somewhere else and the customer will insist that it wasn't done right the first time. Take it to court and the customer will win, every time. Then the company has to do it again for free. Seen it.

Ok… that sounds grim and expensive.

Not sure exactly what you’re saying I should do.

To clarify, I and the two pool companies who’ve come out both noticed pressure drop (and increased bubbles from return jets) when covering the inlet to the skimmer by hand or by attaching vacuum.

In reality I guess the water was always leaking out as long as the skimmer was full but leaked a lot faster when pump is running. That seems to make sense.

Now that that the water level is below the skimmer I don’t notice any water loss.

In the meantime I’ve shocked the water and inserted a sump pump with no drain hose attached to circulate the water.

Last edited:
Ok… that sounds grim and expensive.

Not sure exactly what you’re saying I should do.

To clarify, I and the two pool companies who’ve come out both noticed pressure drop (and increased bubbles from return jets) when covering the inlet to the skimmer by hand or by attaching vacuum.

In reality I guess the water was always leaking out as long as the skimmer was full but leaked a lot faster when pump is running. That seems to make sense.

Now that that the water level is below the skimmer I don’t notice any water loss.

In the meantime I’ve shocked the water and inserted a sump pump with no drain hose attached to circulate the water.
Unless the hole in the suction line is huge, they usually don't leak with the pump running, there is vacuum in the line that keeps the water from leaking. If it is that large the pump won't usually prime.
A pool that leaks faster with the pump running indicates the water is being pumped out of the return line.

• Love
Reactions: oldprophet
Ok I think I understand more fully. The one pool company who I think I feel more comfortable with is going to arrange for the pressure test and we'll see what they tell me. Is there any data/test results in particular I should make certain we receive from this test?

Thanks again!

Hope this doesn't become cost-prohibitive, I love this pool.

To close the loop: I had skimmer and suction line replaced, the old copper pipe was virtually disintegrated. Not immediately concerning myself with the return lines at present. (Time will tell soon enough on that.)

Filled pool back up and left it sit with skimmer full of water for 48 hrs and pump not running. No noticeable water loss.
* I waited 48 hrs for cement to cure

Now having the pool and filter cleaned up, killing algae with phosphate reducer additive which I normally never use but this is a special circumstance, I think. Once algae is eradicated I will install new set of filter grids (I use DE btw) and hope to have a sparkling, non-leaking pool again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.